1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rising Stars Reading Progress Tests - Year 5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TheGazMan, Dec 9, 2015.

1. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Hi,

I was wondering if any teachers/schools out there had built their reading assessments around the Rising Stars Progress Tests? What are your feelings on the difficulty and then the accuracy of the result they give?

I've just completed the Autumn 2 assessment with my Year 5/6 class and I'm in slight meltdown at the scores coming back in translation to age related expectations.

Just wondered how others have found the experience.

2. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

We used the optional end of year tests in KS2 last summer. They were horrendous!

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Omg the scores I got were horrendous too. They are so hard!!! My TA and I were both like, "So any idea about Q2? Errrr no..." But for every question hahaha

4. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I think Rising Stars have done a really bad job here actually as there is an almost universal consensus that they are too hard. I understand they would have been as much in the dark as anyone in the teaching profession with regards to changes in expectation at the end of KS2 but surely they must have tested these on a decent sample size first?!?!? We spent a lot of money on ours and they are left pretty much redundant...

5. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Thank you for the responses, it is a relief to find that everyone has come to the same conclusion with these. Using these tests could really damage staff confidence. I certainly felt I had lost the ability to teach in the space of 6 months! What are people using instead to check progress in reading? I have to say that the maths and grammar Rising Stars progress tests don't seem to be as traumatic. I guess they just cashed in on a desperate market place and were the main credible option. Unfortunately a lot of government money has been wasted by schools as we all try and find an answer to the vacuum we have been left with.

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We use Chris Quiggly milestones as a sort of broad app style assessment but also have invested in Accelerated Reader. Shows progress through reading ages

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Can't stand Rising Stars. I've never got accurate assessment from them.

8. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I mentioned CGP coordination Group publications in another thread. New 2016 test bundles Reading. SPAG and maths.
    No I do not work for them.
    We have just used them and we have some good results which show me what to tackle in spring.
    We use White Rose Hub assessments for maths as well.