1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rising Stars reading assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clark_gill8, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi

Just looking for opinions on the use of Rising Stars assessment for reading as I'm about to start leading literacy in a new school and think this is going to be a key area!

APP is currently in use but I'm not sure how Rising Stars would sit alongside? How do you manage it in your school? Which has been effective and accurate? Pros and cons and general comments/opinions are most welcome. Please don't feel you'll be patronising or stating the obvious as I'm just venturing back into the heady world of subject leadership!!!

Thanks in advance...

2. Hi

Just looking for opinions on the use of Rising Stars assessment for reading as I'm about to start leading literacy in a new school and think this is going to be a key area!

APP is currently in use but I'm not sure how Rising Stars would sit alongside? How do you manage it in your school? Which has been effective and accurate? Pros and cons and general comments/opinions are most welcome. Please don't feel you'll be patronising or stating the obvious as I'm just venturing back into the heady world of subject leadership!!!

Thanks in advance...

3. We use Rising stars for maths, science and literacy. I like the maths ones, the science are ok but i dont like the literacy too much. I find that for level 1 they can literally just guess a a tick box and wham bam thank you maam a level one when they can just about read CVC words. It's nice that the long and short writing and reading all link to the same theme though and you can do them anytime of year so can fit them in with topics. I couldnt fit them in with APP easilt as the way they are marked is different to APP (as far as I could see...eaither that ir Ive been doing them wrong). I didn't feel they gave an accurate level either.
    You also (I think) have to do the reading and both writings to get a full level.
    I like the maths ones....broken down into seperate units and can combine all scores from block A to give an aover all level, all from B, all from C etc...Then once ALL compete you can add them together to give an overall maths mark.
    Sorry if this isnt helpful, I'm shattered.
    x

4. We tried the reading writing, but abandoned it because although we liked the levels it gave (Y2 teachers), Y3 did not find them accurate!

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I don't like the rising stars reading assessments - I don't think they are at all representative of where my kids are really at.

6. Doodledog - thanks for detailed reply. I know it's probably the last thing you fancied doing much it's much appreciated.

In fact thanks all - handy to see how useful these things are in reality.