1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rising Stars Maths Assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by derbydek, Oct 19, 2015.

1. derbydek

derbydek New commenter

Hi all,
    New poster hear so bear with me! I'm currentlly teaching in Year 6 and am getting to grips with the new proposed SATS regime.
    As a school we purchased the Rising Stars Assessment material (both unit and end of year). Personally I find the tests unnecessarily difficult but can't seem to get an opinion on them from colleagues. For baseline purposes our Y6 children sat the Y5 end of year tests during the first week back. It's fair to say scores weren't great. However I've found that the Rising stars Y5 tests were significantly more difficult than the Y6 Sample SATS recently published and the CGP samples we have been posted.
    Does anyone else find the Rising Stars tests too difficult to give an accurate measure of progress? I believe that Rising Stars jumped on the New Curriculum band wagon too soon and have got their pitch wrong (by taking the NC PoS to the most extreme degree of difficulty) if the official sample tests are anything to go by.

TEA2111 likes this.
  2. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

Google "rising stars assessments" TES and you'll find the old forums, and posts from the summer when someone enquired as to whether it was any good. Responses from those actually using it were as follows

- it was later suggested this poster had an association with the company making said product

A seperate thread on whether they were too hard
    And so on in that vein (a Rising Stars account did invite members to give feedback via their customer care e-mail and justifying their work, linking to the following https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum-assessments-test-frameworks http://www.risingstars-uk.com/serie...tests-demand-and-content#sthash.NPY18w3Y.dpuf ).

And a third thread

[this in response to posted given directly above]

So without personal experience in the matter and with the acknowledgement that I like a lot of what Rising Stars have done (for instance their SATs analysis "Implications for Teaching and Learning" - which then makes it annoying they don't archive them properly), there are quite a few who share your opinion that they are too difficult.

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

What happens now if we spent a lot of money on the optional tests? Do we have to buy another whole package?

4. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Yes. But then, that would have been the case anyway, surely? They're not photocopiable.

5. derbydek

derbydek New commenter

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. As you've stated at the original time of publishing, Rising Stars had little to work with from the government. I do think though that schools have invested heavily in material, which on reflection is possibly not pitched appropriately in many cases. As a result schools could possibly argue the case for receiving any revised material at a discounted rate.

6. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

In reply to Michael1979 we would have to buy the teacher pack. Don't worry we are not photocopying resources. You won't lose money.
    You have to be careful as you work with Rising Stars so I get the feeling that you are selling a product. Do you get paid by them or does your school receive free resources?
    It is our own fault and now we are going to take our time. Also we will see if this national bank of questions happens.

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Truly amazed to see references to SATS and SATs as if teachers believe that they really exist in our NC assessment schemes. Thought that the sats myth had been recognised as bunkum years back!

8. michaelt1979

I appreciate that my view is inevitably affected by my relationship with RS. That's why I stated it upfront. I gain nothing from your school choosing (or not) to buy the resources, but it's only fair that I state my relationship before commenting. My only reason for posting was to point out that changes are being made.
    I don't know what the cost will be of replacing the teachers' guides, if any. The website at the moment only says that that existing customers will have the opportunity to upgrade. I know no more than that.

9. michaelt1979

I'm amazed at your on-going willingness to be amazed :)

10. petordream

petordream New commenter

The Year 6 maths papers seem a lot more difficult then all the SATS questions I've seen...

Anyone been able to compare RS scores with actual SATS results? I'm new in Year 6 and don't trust the Rising Stars tests...

Thanks