1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rising stars ICT stuff

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenniwillis, May 8, 2012.

1. We've just had a staff meet browsing rising stars ICT scheme. I'm NOT a fan of schemes meself, but we are looking for something to help structure our SKILLS lessons across the school (primary). There's a few of us very ICT competent, and a few less confident. I wasn't over-joyed with the look of it . . . . does any body use it? Any opinions?

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I'm also interested in this. Looks petty good to me. Will be interested to hear bout any experiences

3. I hate schemes and normally find them very limiting and hard to follow. I think I can write a set of lessons quicker than I can figure out someone elses.
    However I rate this... the planning is simple in that you can move it on further but for people who struggle with ICT it is really supportive.
    The units aren't huge so you could cover some of them in a few sessions - leaving you free to move it on in your own way.
    I think for us it has given us a range of skills based learning that shows progress rather than just children using microsoft packages or basic graphics ... where they aren't really making progress in the ICT part.
    I like the titles as it relates it to using ICT in real life.
    That's my thoughts... I don't work for them- honest!!!

4. THanks NQT2004 . . . am sure you will receive your commission if we go ahead! Sounds like what we're looking for.

5. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

But why would you fork out on a scheme now, when change is coming. I feel many children do not take much learning in developing their skills, however teachers subject knowledge does not allow them to aid the children's progression and achieve comparable levels to Literacy and Numeracy! Teachers need to play with ICT too before they teach it in order to develop the skills - not just take from a book!

6. That was my thought . .but co-ordinator seems to think this is what we need. Thought I'd get you clever people to change my mind . . . .or not!

7. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Definately - the government are changing their expectations for ICT, until they show their hand, use it creatively and apply it to different areas of the cuirriculum rather than buy into a scheme that will probably become obselete in a matter of months.

8. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

From my knowledge of ICT schemes - there is an initial buzz about them and then they gather dust. I would look at the likes of Wokingham, Kent and Greenwich schemes of work for ICT. Also use photostory with the children. I did a staff meeting on photostory a couple of years ago and it is possible for KS1 and KS2 to do photostory. If you have 2Simple software either collection / DIY build on developing the childrens skills to use all of these. I also introduced animation - we had a half day inset from a company called animation for education and is so good for building cross curricular links. Instead of making plasticine models, we use lego, duplo, playmobile, sylvanian families, mcdonald tops, farm animals, zoo animals or anything else that fits with the story. Then can just develop the storyboards and go straight into filming.

9. Yeah . . .I do most of the above and am (fairly) creative wit it. We've done animation of parables (of all things) ; made online prospectuses using movie maker for new parents; photostory to celebrate outdoor activity weekends. We're well up with excel in maths and science, and have just got to grips with audacity for a recent cross curricular exploration of space sounds. You don't have to tell me .. .. .I'm not sold on what they're selling as a 'quick fix' . . .just thought I was being grumpy!! THank you!!

10. Am not worried about government changes as this is broad enough to cope with them, as a staff I think we are behind in Ict compared to what some of you on here are saying you do. I also don't see this scheme as being our Ict for the next ten years but for us and where we are now it's excellent.

It has really good units that show progression and you can choose the software you work with so this has helped us develop our teaching away from just Microsoft!

It has really worked for us, to be honest I am sure some of you are already doing what this offers but we weren't !!!

11. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Like everything else, it is horses for courses, We are all at different places and it's what suits our school needs in order to enable children's learning to progress.

12. Just think it's tricky when one school can be made up of very different teachers. Thank you all for you input . . . I will deliver it to the staff room tomorrow. :) Yee haaaa . . .3 more teaching days to go.

13. rainbowdrop86

What is photostory?

14. Microsoft Photo Story is a photo program for Windows.You can collect photos together, drop them on a time line and then the children can add narration, transitions, zooms and other fancy stuff . . . soundtracks etc and then export the result as a WMV file.

It's free and really easy to use as a beginner to putting together a photo show and the results are pretty professional. The children will enjoy it.

15. rainbowdrop86

Where do u get it from

16. if you just google microsoft photostory a link will come up to download it . . it's windows. You'll need media player too.