1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rising Stars English Tests?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Anyone use these and have any comments?
    We use them for reading and writing. I find the writing tests OK, although the levels ome out very high unless I drop all marks for handwriting and spelling. (They're still a bit high after that, but not too bad). The reading tests though, just seem all over the place! Admittedly, I only have experience of the Y5 ones, but I have done four tests now. The first two seemed broadly accurate, the third was way too high, and the one I've just done was incredibly hard and all the levels came out way too low! (In fact, I thought this one seemed very difficult beforehand and was dubious about giving it!) I find some of the questions ambiguous, and often think an answer a child has given is perfectly reasonable, even though it isn't the answer the book 'requires'!
    Any other thoughts about Rising Stars? I am going to have to largely disregard the last two tests as they just seem extremely inaccurate.

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I have used the Year 4 ones and they are very haphazard. I think it is because they each focus on different AF's so testing at regular intervals will not necessarily show progression from one to the next because it is a completely different genre and skill being tested.

3. thanks. do you just do a sort of average score then?

4. They are very poor. We gave up on them. They are OK for teaching, I suppose .....
    Use SATs papers - there are enough of them now

5. Yes, might do a straw poll of my colleagues. Makes sense to use SATS, as this is what they'll be doing in Y6 and so might as well get used to the format and style of questions. How many are there though? I think I only have one old one for year 5.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Yes, we used them to inform our planning and Teacher Assessments but not to generate them if you see what I mean.