1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rise of SUVs 'makes mockery' of electric car push

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

"The "immense" rise in sales of high-emission sports utility vehicles means they now outsell electric cars in the UK by 37 to one, research has found.

As a result, overall exhaust emissions from new cars have been increasing, not declining, for the past three years, says the UK Energy Research Centre.

SUV sales are jeopardising the UK transport sector's ability to meet EU emissions targets, it said.

Prof Jillian Anable of the UKERC said this made "a mockery" of UK policy.

"Effectively, we have been sleepwalking into the issue," she said.

"The decarbonisation of the passenger car market can no longer rely on a distant target to stop the sales of conventional engines. We must start to phase out the most polluting vehicles immediately.

"It is time to enact a strong set of regulations to transform the entire car market towards ultra-low carbon, rather than focusing solely on the uptake of electric vehicles."

So what's to be done about it? Can a ban on spare parts and repairing SUVs be introduced to eliminate them off the roads?

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s so high, it surprised me tbh.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Totally agree with this.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It's the ratio to pure electric cars. Excludes hybrids like Prius etc.

colpee and Jamvic like this.
  5. LondonCanary

Honestly.. You want it to be à crime to repair certain vehicles.?

border_walker and Jesmond12 like this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

So far more dangerous cars with faulty and/or second hand spare parts will be on the road?

colpee and Jesmond12 like this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yes! Because when the SUV owners die in the resulting crashes their non-compliant attitudes will die with them, helping to open the door to a brighter, greener future. You've got to look at the big picture, you see.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Modern SUV's can do 40+ mpg and carry more passengers (many seat 7). DPF,s remove damaging particulates and Cats remove much of the CO2. Some even fall into the lower taxation classes as well.

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

A single cow will produce more carbon emissions than any one of those SUVs.
    Stop eating beef. Save the planet.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This is old news. Sales of electric cars are increasing as new models with better range are brought out. They are still too expensive though and the manufacturers are still trying to squeeze the buyers, like by only leasing you the batteries, so you can buy the car but still have to fork out monthly. (This might only be Renault). Most electric cars look like they have been styled by someone who forgot to put their glasses on. Even the ones without the leasing do not have batteries that last, so at eight years or so, depending on mileage, you might have to fork out £5 grand plus to replace the battery pack, even though the vehicle itself may have another ten or more years in it. The motor car is still a consumer good, so designs are constantly replaced and marketing extols us to buy new ones all the time. People buy 4X4 SUVs (or w*nker wagons) because they falsely believe they are safer despite industry evidence to the contrary, and people like to sit higher up with a better view, failing to understand that if we were all higher up the view would be the same. Some older people buy them because they think they are easier to get in and out of. One old fart on my street has a giant orange pickup thing, which I have only seen him drive (badly) once, but he washes it twice a week! He must have more money than sense. This is all a dilemma, but the manufacturers make big bucks on 4X4s. There is a reported massive decline in sales of diesel vehicles, and LandRover/Jaguar are in trouble for shifting to such engines. The manufacturers were pushed into the diesel nonsense to some extent by the EU (and our government) when there were technologies being developed in the 80s which could have produced petrol cars like are suddenly appearing 30 years ago. The oil industry lobby wish to sell petroleum products and also own the mineral sources for catalytic converters, so it is in their interest for you to have a gas guzzler. The biggest problem is the bottom end of the market with people who have to buy older cars which will be more fuel heavy and likely to be only petrol or diesel, and of course, this means they pay relatively more to run their vehicles (through taxes) than those who can afford an off the shelf brand spanking new eco-car. They have to do this in order to have a life and get to work because the public transport infrastructure is completely useless for most people.

sadscientist likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Electric cars will become increasingly common as fossil fuels are phased out.

It will happen.

Whether we do it quickly enough the important question.

Given the amount of people prepared to vote for the useless bunch in power, probably not.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

sorry-edited my comment out because it was ridiculous,

A useful quote.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've got a hybrid (The new term is 'self charging' to differentiate from those you plug in). It is two years old but I am already beginning to see the degradation of the battery in terms of how quickly it discharges when running on electric and the consequential lowering of mpg. Having said that I watched an ad for a Citreon all electric that claimed 209 miles on one charge! When mine gets down to 200 miloes left I am starting to think about refilling the petrol tank (normally does about 650 miles on one fill (45 litres), best ever was 725).

14. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

You’re obviously swallowing plenty of evangelistic Vegan propaganda.

border_walker likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As I've not had kids I think I'll carry on enjoying beef.

But yeah... parents should definitely be stopped buying it.

16. LondonCanary

I will kill a cow before I buy my SUV and be way better than carbon neutral.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Maybe we need to eat more beef, especially the millions of cows in India?

[​IMG]

18. moscowbore

Sounds like a new tory policy to me :)

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Food is essentially carbon neutral apart from any fossil fuels used to produce it. I'm not sure if this accounts to much for grass eating livestock, maybe even on a par with industrially farmed vegan food? "Organic" as a label doesn't take into consideration the fossil fuel carbon footprint of food production, in fact I'm not sure that there is anything that does other than buying local to avoid the long distance transport element.

The case against cows is based on the methane they produce which is a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, though it does all degrade to carbon dioxide and water within 7 years, but that is carbon that came from the atmosphere in the first place and is balanced with no net addition.

The vegan attitude to cows and methane does seem like half-explained, quarter-truth propaganda.

20. moscowbore