1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ripped off and cross!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3946, Aug 14, 2012.

1. A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of designer shoes from a friend in good faith; as she'd never worn them, I paid her nearly full retail price. I've not really worn them much , and, needing some money, decided to sell them via ebay.
    Ebay have contacted me to tell me I am breaking their rules by using the designer's name without the item being made by said designer- basically, that they're fakes! I'd already got bids on them of £150, and am furious at having been ripped off, and by a friend- and now my ebay account has this on its record :(
    Slightly puzzled at quite how ebay know they're fakes from 2 photos, as I couldn't tell but they're very certain about it. Though they won't actually tell me anything BEYOND this. They have banned me from relisting them, so even if it turns out they aren't fake (and does anyone know how I could find out?) I won't be allowed to sell them.
    Just needed a rant- I was quite excited about the shoes and it took some time to decide to sell, but I could have really used the money. Now it turns out I quite probably have neither. *Lament*

2. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Where did your friend get them from? Maybe she bought them in good faith too.

3. She claimed to have bought them from the designer's store as an impulse purchase but couldn't walk well in them. We lost touch a few months later, after I moved. I don't have any way of getting hold of her to check things out. Trying to get ebay to give me more information.

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Well, you still have the shoes and, even if they are fake, nobody knows so why tell them? Wear them with pride.
    You obviously love the shoes and may have regretted selling them later. After all, what would you have spent the money on? It would have been gone and you wouldn't have had your beautiful shoes. Money doesn't last long but these shoes will give you years of pleasure.
    I believe that your shoes are the real thing and karma took over and prevented you from selling them. You are supposed to own them. Put them on now and have a walk around in them!

5. Haha, maybe so dozymare, just got a few debts that could do with paying! Was trying to be grown up. Still trying to talk to ebay to get it taken off my account- if they are fakes, I sure as hell didn't know!

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I heard that ebay are a bit too hot on claiming things are fakes without any real knowledge.

7. Alliandra, have you done some internet research to find out the tell-tale signs for the fake brand of your particular shoes? I'd check out that first and then see if you are satisfied that they are fakes. If you aren't sure then you could always ask a friend to look them over and see if they can see any of the 'fake' give-aways. If you're not convinced they are fake then argue the toss with eBay.

8. Doing some research now and have found a forum staffed by experts which I shall seek advice from. If they declare them as real (the research is suugesting they may well be) I shall argue further with ebay. Right now, I'm still trying to convince them to remove the fault from my account- I have some more stuff I want to sell and don't want a negative mark against me :(

9. Scratch that; fakes. *Sob*
    Mission convice ebay I did not know this continues. I will be going into mourning for my shooz (which I thought were shoes) :(

10. dozymare1957

Alliandra, they aren't fakes. Keep wearing them and enjoy! Sod the rest of the world!

11. I no longer use eBay because of their attitude towards people selling fake goods. Having paid for goods which, when they arrived, were obviously fakes and not what had been advertised or photographed, I was upset that the only action eBay were willing to take was to offer a refund when the goods were returned. No sanction for the seller and no guarantee that the scam wouldn't continue under a new user name with the same item resold to some other unsuspecting sucker. I'm pleased if they are now attempting to be more rigorous in policing their website, although sorry for the OP's inconvenience.

12. I once had my eBay account hacked, and someone was using it to list ugg boots! eBay actually spotted it very quickly and blocked my account, allowing me to reclaim it.

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

OP: I don't think e-bay noticed, more that someone else did and they complained. Probably a competitor, especially someone selling the same brand.

14. Ebay have got back to me and will remove it from my account- huzzah! I am glad they're strict about it, obviously, but equally glad that I'm not being penalised as a result of my inability to spot it. I do wish they'd explained what the give away was- I'm still puzzled because the details I've read about weren't visible through the photos...
    I am now going to wear them to every party I go to, dozymare- the only way they're noticable as fakes is under scrutiny.
    And hey, I now know how to spot a fake of this particular designer!

15. dozymare1957

You could start a whole new career as a fake hunter!

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Alliandra, am intrigued by this.
    I'm a self confessed shoe-a-holic and lucky enough to own several designer pairs alongside more humble offerings from New Look and Matalan. I'd love to see a photo of your shoes. What brand are they? Whatever, just enjoy wearing them!

17. Belle, they're not-Louboutins; the give aways are that the "Paris" is at the bottom corner of the box, not up near the Louboutin logo; the bags are too big; the loop on the L doesn't go close enough to the stem and they say "MADE INITALY" instead of having a space. Silly things I didn't know to check for.
    I'm a bit of a shoe freak myself, but my budget is a bit lower than this usually- I could spot you a genuine New Look shoe!

18. BelleDuJour

So they are fake Louboutins?
    TBH so long as you enjoy them who cares? I have 2 pairs of Louboutins.....have worn one pair several times and not worn the other at all (long story to do with dress for wedding didn't fit after my hols and shoes didn't go with new dress). I will wear them one day but not the most comfortable footwear you can buy for sure!
    It is my guess fake Louboutins are more comfortable as well as more affordable!
    *Belle, off to check her Louboutins are the real deal [​IMG]*

19. Comfortable isn't really the word!
    If not for the amount I paid for them and that I now can't sell them on, I wouldn't give two hoots!

20. BelleDuJour

I can see your point!
    Use them as ornaments? I'm serious. I have a stunning pair of Kurt Keiger emerald green sequin courts....... just delicious shoes.................but so friggin' uncomfortable as they're sky high with no platform. I've worn them once (car-to-restaurant-restaurant-to-car) and won't wear them again. But they are artistically arranged on a beam in my bedroom as an ornament!