1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Feb 12, 2012.

1. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Great voice, lousy choices

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Great voice, lousy choices

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It's a real shame. She was a truely talented lady with an absolutely magic voice.
    Rest in peace, Whitney. xxx

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Wow didn't expect to see that in the news! Her poor daughter.
    Its a shame such talent seems to come with a self destruct button... x

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Sleep tight. So many Chingford children named after you sweetie x

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Report I read says she was 48. Really?
    I'm sure she used to be MUCH older than me. Celebrities seem to age more slowly than the rest of us, numerically speaking at least. Maybe celebrity years are different, a bit like cat or dog years but the other way.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sad news, I only realised when I read it that I haven't heard anything about her for a long time.
    There's a woman did the same course as me at uni who had something of a media career. I know for a fact we are exactly the same age, but every time I saw her age (she seems to have disappeared from public view entirely now) in magazine/newspaper interviews etc. she would lose another year since last time. I think I had managed to open up a four year gap last time I noticed.
    I suspect they just occasionally skip a year and stay the same age for two years.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Whitney was born in 1963. Providing she hasn't had her birthday yet this year, that makes her 48.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

She had it all and threw it away. A waste and a tragedy. Couldn't stand her style of singing mind.

10. I didn't mind *her* singing that way, it was when all the Mariahs, Christinas and other subsequent imitators did the style to death that it became irritating. I'm not a fan (although I loved her when I was younger) but I do think she had a good voice. Saying that I MUCH prefer Dolly Parton's version of 'I Will Always Love you'. I can't listen to the Whitney version without rolling my eyes...

11. There's an actor from the same place as me who undergoes the same phenomenon. Journalists don't always get it right and maybe look at old clippings but he's always quoted as being a few years younger than me.
    Edit: I've just checked on wiki and he's actually two years older.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well that's definite then!!

13. It isn't and if I'd engaged my brain I'd have known better.
    From the year he was in at school, I know him to be three years older than me.

14. Why? She had a great life, albeit miserable in places. There are plenty who never get the opportunities, cash or lifestyle that she had. Thousands die each die in pain, misery, filth and violence. You don't feel sorry for them, because you don't see them on the tellybox.
    cyolba, hoping vainly for a sense of proportion :)

15. It is sad when anybody dies. I have lost 4 students in my workplace in the last 3 years and have grieved for them also. Of course nobody knows the details of everybody who dies but I do feel sad whenever I hear of someone's death on the news-part of the reason why it's not good for me to watch the news as I always end up bawling!

16. Don't feel you have to justify yourself, daydreamer.

17. Oh I don't know... yes, it's sad because a person died... but really... I would feel as sorry as if an unknown neighbour died, and a lot sadder were it a very young person who hadn't had any life experiences yet.
    The fact that she may have died young due to drug use is not really here nor there IMHO - to be brutally honest, none of us knew her, nobody probably gave a thought to her the past few months/years, unless they heard one of her tracks (did my best to avoid them, but each to their own...) and generally it leaves me totally untouched when a sleb dies. OK, you may raise your eyebrows at her age, but on the whole...anybody who gets a mention on FB in the puerile 'XX XXXX, RIP' is not really going to hit my radar.

Off to stick spoon of self-righteousness back in mouth

18. She doesn't have to justify herself. I was merely pointing out the oddity of people's behaviour with regard to the deaths of strangers. Some feel as if they know or have some sort of relationship with a person because they have been in the tabloids or on the tellybox. I find it fascinating, but weird.
    It was brought into sharpest focus by the Diana death. I can't wait to see how whacko the country goes when the Queen pops her clogs, or when my plan to assassinate Stephen Fry comes to fruition.
    cyolba, giving away his plans like all good Bond villains :)

19. Pinski, I take it you won't be sharing, 'I Will Always Love You' on Facebook, then..?