1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP my cat,Sabrina

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sabrinakat, Aug 27, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My beloved cat -Sabrina, aged 15 and diabetic since 2009, started to be very poorly yesterday and after refusing food this morning, I took her to the vet; I said that if it was possible to resolve without invasive actions, please run whatever tests, eg if a diabetic episode, it could be easily sorted. My phone died on Monday so they rang my husband to say that she had kidney failure and it was a case of hours. I called back to arrange the 'injection' but with me there. Sadly, she passed a few hours before that. Laat night, I pulled Sabrina onto my bed and we had cuddles for awhile and I could hear her purring - I think that was her goodbye as this morning, she was very unresponsive. I know that I did the right thing taking her to the vet as I would always feel upset that if we haven't, perhaps the vet could have helped? But I am upset that I wasn't there to cuddle her when she did pass...

I have her 14 year old daughter, Daphne, who usually sleeps on my bed but last night, stepped away when she saw her mother. Daphne has always been a bit of a nervous cat but all night tonight has been coming into the living room to sit on my lap and at the moment on the back of the couch where Sabrina usually slept.

Would love to hear some stories from pet guardians about this most difficult time..?

2. muinteoirsonasasta

muinteoirsonasasta New commenter

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved cat. It's a very hard thing to lose a pet that had been a member of your family for such a long time. I know it's not much comfort to you at the moment but she lived to be a very good age, and must have enjoyed a very good life with you. I understand what you're saying about not being there at the end (having had to take my beloved dog to the vet in September for the dreaded injection) but his nice that you had precious time with her last night. I had to reply to your post when I read it as nighttime can be very lonely at times like this. I'm sure that the regular posters (especially all those with pets) will be able to respond to the last section of your post later today. (I was burning the midnight oil getting things ready for "back to school" next Monday!)

Take care and I hope you manage to get some rest tonight. (However, having been through a similar situation recently, I know how hard it is in the beginning.)

3. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Oh it's awful losing a beloved pet. I am so sorry Sabrina. These difficult days will pass and you will remember her with love and laughter, I promise.

I lost my lovely Hairy Mutt a while ago now and the kindness and sympathy of posters here made such a difference. Know that all of us who have lost pets feel for you.

(((Sabrinacat)))

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Sending hugs and purrs to you.

So sorry to hear of your feline baby passing away. Over 15 years old is a long life for a cat, and comfort yourself with the happy memories of the times you had together. I am sure you and your husband took very good care of your cat and know that you gave her a happy and secure home with lots of love and affection. Cats are such good company in so many ways and they are stress busters which teachers definitely need.

It is never easy losing a pet which becomes a beloved member of the family. Each time we lose a cat, I say "never again" since when they die is almost unbearable, but in the end I always give in and get another one since I adore cats and the love and affection they give. Cats come in all type of personalities just like people and each one is unique. Not all cats are aloof as is a common myth.

We have a cat who is 15 and half and is not in perfect health; each day with him is a bonus. I am trying to make myself strong to face the day when it is time to say goodbye, but it is hard, so I try to take one day at a time.

Try to get some rest as cosmosinfrance says - and I know it is very early days, but in time you might find it in your heart to give another feline baby a home. There are so many cats now who are desperate for responsible owners and who have the means to care for them properly.

???

Bless you and thinking of you today.

Pepper

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had mother and daughter cats, mum one year older than daughter. They died exactly one year apart, having reached the age of eighteen. The older one got slower and slower and was very kind to us- she just faded and we found her in her favourite spit one morning.

Her daughter was a nervous cat and developed kidney problems. My husband was due to take her to the vet and I said goodbye to her before I went to work. I knew I wouldn't see her again.

That's six years ago now and we haven't had any more since. I remember Rosie and Scout both loving bits of popadom. You couldn't eat a curry without them weaving around your feet!

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Sorry to hear but your cat was so lucky to have such a good and loving home. I dread sometimes to see things people post on FB or the articles in the (naff) press re animal cruelty. When I get hinted at as being too mard by my horsey friends I look at all the examples within the animal world of inexplicable examples of understanding/communication - not sure of what I am actually trying to describe - but you know what I mean. Her daughter - well she will be a comfort no doubt.

I am wavering dreadfully re my 15 year old Jack Russell who definitely has some sort of doggy dementia. My daughter wanted me to make "the decision" before I go away this weekend but my OH - well his reaction has made me put it off. She wails if he takes the 2 boys out for a walk and leaves her behind - but if she goes she can't manage it; the rest of the daytime she sleeps a lot but in the evenings she paces around the lounge and kitchen, restless and panting. I feel she is stressed. Then on another occasion she will have a little play with the boys (most unlike the aggressive little beggar she was in her hey day!) She doesn't seem at times to hear or see too well and will bump into things...on others..... seems to cope. My daughter says she doesn't think she knows who she is and when she went to her place for a weekend she didn't cope at all. When does one know when the right time is?

All I want is that there is something in place for me when I get to that time. You have done well by your precious pet SC.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Poor kitty. 15's a good age though, isn't it?

Our dog Pete keeps looking like he's about to kick the bucket. I've re-named him Lazarus.

I'm making light of it, but I know a piece of me will die too when he finally goes (he's 15 too)

All the best.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My darling Jonny Boy Dog (JBD) died at the age of 9. Thrombocytopenia. Horrid.

I removed myself from life for three days. I sat at this computer and played Schubert's Gute Ruh time after time after time. I wept and wept and wept. Then, on the Monday, I went back to work.

I had to give myself over to grief for those three days. I just had to.

Oh, dear. It's so hard.

Lotty is 14 but she'll still eat us out of house and home given the chance so, whatever else is wrong with her, she's going strong. When do you know? Oh, don't. I left things too long with my cat, Cristo.

Look after yourselves, everyone.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My old Jack is a Lottie.... oh she was such a naughty dog when she was younger! So handsome a dog but what a coward and a bully.......

[​IMG]

10. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

That is such sad news. But that's the deal: we have them in our lives but know that one day we will have to let them go. The price is worth paying.

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Hugs to SK. xxx

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

So sorry to hear your news. Pets are part of the family and it is very sad when they die. Sparkle was my favourite guinea pig-she died in 2002. You can see her in my avatar. Lots of hugs to you at this sad time. xx

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I' sorry to hear your news, SabrinaKat, especially at a time when you are getting ready for your new job.

Let's hope that it will bring you new joys so that you can cope better with the loss of your loved cat.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

14. NQT to be

NQT to be New commenter

RIP Sabrina. Much hugs and cuddles to Daphne and the grieving humans. Last act of kindness we can do our beloved animal friends. xx

15. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'm so sorry to hear your news. Hugs to you.

((((((Sabrinakat)))))))))

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

We had to send our Jenny dog to the kennel in the sky last Friday.

She was diagnosed with a brain tumour last October and given 4 months tops!! We had extra months and when we made the decision, we knew it was right so we feel no guilt just sad she's not here. We made a decision years ago that we would never have just one dog so when we returned from the vet, there were our 2 young Spaniels waiting. Having more than one pet makes it just that bit less sorrowful for us and helps enormously. TBH, it's the only way that we cope.

Bless you little cat-you were well loved.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Fragile Circle

Author Irving Townsend

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives

even more temporary than our own,

live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,

never fully understanding the necessary plan.

Thank you, Sabrina and Jenny, for letting yourselves be loved.

18. sabrinakat

Thank you everyone. We collected her from the vets today and buried her in the garden in her favourite box and a blanket, along with a toy. I will get some plants\flowers tomorrow...

Fortunately, my new school doesn't start until the 7th so I have a bit more time. Daphne, the daughter, is a lovely cat but not as sociable; Sabrina had a large personality and loved people...

Thanks again....

19. sabrinakat

GDW - how lovely!

20. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It's an awful and empty time isn't it. My only consolation when mine dies was that they had and a a good and lovely life and they weren't allowed to suffer too long.

(((hugs))) sabrinakat and Daphne