1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Mick Karn

Discussion in 'Personal' started by invincible, Jan 4, 2011.

1. invincible

invincible New commenter

Mick Karn, former bassist of the 80s band Japan, finally lost his battle with cancer today.

It's been a sad day in the pop music world today [​IMG]

2. invincible

invincible New commenter

Mick Karn, former bassist of the 80s band Japan, finally lost his battle with cancer today.

It's been a sad day in the pop music world today [​IMG]

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

he's been in a bad way for some time, i understand.
    :(

4. He made his fretless bass sing and was my bass idol back in the heyday of Japan; I learnt bass purely to emulate his style.
    On a rather inappropriate and trivial note, under the circumstances, I also plucked all of my eyebrows out because of him (there was a minor fashion trend for doing this - Alannah whatshername from Thompson Twins did the same). Always sad when someone young dies but I think he might live on in some small way due to the (albeit minor) influence he had on basslines and performance techniques. [​IMG]

5. Oh no!
    I had not even realised he was ill.
    Another idol gone...(and so worryingly, my generation is popping their clogs like nobody's business...I wanna be a young 80s gal again!)

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Very sad to hear that Mick has died.
    Japan were a class apart.

7. Thought I recognised the name, how sad. I loved Japan in their heyday and have all their albums (vinyl)

8. I've just watched Quiet Life on YouTube and have been transported back to my teenage bedroom!
    I can 'see' my Japan Tshirt and my posters and the band's name crafted out of black tape in Japanese style writing on the drawers under my bed! I can 'hear' the endless discussions about how beautiful and talented they all were and how they would get beaten up and picked on if they were in our school but we understood them!
    I loved (love) Japan. Happy memories!

RIP

9. I had no idea 'til I saw this thread. How sad. Can only agree with others here.

[​IMG]

rip