1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Magdalen Berns

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vannie, Sep 14, 2019.

1. vannie

vannie Star commenter

2. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Thanks @vannie I’ve spent Saturday evening watching her YouTube. I’d never heard of her - I wish I had.

vannie likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Me too.

vannie likes this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'm amazed. She's been widely vilified.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

There are persons on twitter posting gifs of skeletons dancing on graves. About a 38 year old woman dying of brain cancer.
    RIP Magdalen - brave, wise and witty.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

*35* year old woman.

7. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

She was an anti-trans activist whose relatively small following was amplified by such as Posie Parker and the former comedy writer Graham Linehan. Her style was confrontational. That is why some people are not expressing sympathy.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

So tragic. I heard about the dancing skeleton gifs - that person should be ashamed but somehow I don't think they are.

vannie likes this.
  10. Koshkat

Koshkat New commenter

Absolutely tragic death of a wonderful, clever, witty feminist who was 100% pro woman.

vannie likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have never heard of her, but then again I have little interest in her activities or beliefs. Just sad that one so young should die and hope her work sees a good outcome,

12. vannie

vannie Star commenter

She was not anti trans. She was pro women and girls. There was no hate.

13. Koshkat

Koshkat New commenter

Andy - what an interesting reponse from you. A non compliant woman always did get men's backs up I suppose.

14. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

You will notice that I didn't use the word 'hate'. She did deny that trans-women are women. All factual.

15. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I'm not sure my response was interesting. It was merely an explanation of who she was, and factual. Nothing to suggest my back is up. Opposition to her views come mainly from other feminists.

download.jpg

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stopped reading when I got to this:

"She didn’t suffer fools, fakes and pretenders at all, especially ridiculous self-obsessed and attention-seeking males pretending to be women and trying to define actual women, both gay and straight, out of existence. "

Did a double take ... then it equated Transtheory with a 'blitzkrieg'... so trans = Nazi...

Decided I'd not bother going any further.

nomad and Andy_91 like this.
  17. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

@vannie I’ve just finished watching her YouTube channel. Just like to say thank you again for making me aware of her.

vannie likes this.
  18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

You’re welcome @Nanny Ogg. Pass it on x

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  19. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Already have!!!

vannie likes this.