1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Keith Emmerson

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jesmond12, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Emmerson, Lake & Palmer. All my musical heroes are slowly going.:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

That rock collaboration in the sky is getting bigger by the day :(.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Oh no... how desperately sad... :(

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

There's an orchestra forming up there.

6. Jude Fawley

7. Jude Fawley

8. Jude Fawley

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

2016 is not a good year. Most of them pretty young as well,despite the government telling us we're all going to live past 100.

10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Much preferred the earlier Emerson with Nice. This was my favourite played over and over again (very loud). The You-tuber's record seems to have some groove noise in exactly the same place as my copy.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

12. Didactylos4

At least the Angels will be rocking

lindenlea likes this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Sadly it appears to be suicide as it appears that Emerson had 'recently' been suffering from depression and a degenerative nerve issue that hampered his keyboard playing capabilities.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

It's sad.
    Understandable though.
    Losing the physical ability to sustain such a great talent must have been terrible

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think one of the problems with those projections 'living well past 100' are based on the current number of people in their 90s and 100s. Having parents/relatives of that generation I believe that particular generation is something of an anomaly.

To have survived to adulthood in the 1920s/30s meant they had good health and immune systems. Despite all the privations their diet was quite healthy and I think the generation that appears now to be 'dying early' (those born in the 40s/50s) do not have any many of those advantages.

The '60s lifestyle' may well have had an effect on the high profile people whose orbituaries we are currently reading. It would be interesting to see if similar numbers of 'ordinary' people born in those eras are dying in similar numbers?

Those of us 'contemporaries' certainly seem to be losing numbers of 'our generation' though. So make the most of each day.

Edit. in response to the idea of suicide and failing health, this is one of the big problems of longevity. All well and good but rarely does one have good health to match it.

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The government tell people who have made it to age 65 that on average they will live to 83 (men) or 85 (women). Averages being what they are, for every man who makes it to 103 there will be another who snuffs it at 63.

nomad likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have always enjoyed this one- Barrelhouse Shake-down. Emerson at his keyboard playing best.

18. Didactylos4

It was this one that got me first.
    Keyboards and at the end piano

I first saw them live at Newcastle City Hall in 71 and again at the Odeon in the same town in 72
    I was a young teenager back then :(

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My first concert at Newcastle City Hall was Dr Feelgood in 1976

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Excellent pub rock band. Loved "Down at the Doctor's"