1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Jane Russell

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dipsue, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Now there's a lady who really knew how to do glam.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Beautiful lady RIP

3. impis

impis New commenter

4. impis

impis New commenter

Well that didn't work, did it!

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Was she the one who had the bra designed by Howard Hughes on aerodynamic principles?

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes....that's her Jacob.

7. I've seen her interviewed on a few occasions and she always came across as very down to earth and un-Hollywood.
    I liked her face - an unusual-looking woman, and very striking.

8. Naturally gorgeous, fantastically sexy without having to try too hard. If you can be bothered, open this clip, from The French Line and watch her in action. Fabulous legs, and an incredibly beautiful, elegant and graceful woman. Her sort of posing and the wiggling of her assets is a million light years away from the sort of cheap provocative strutting and pouting that the likes of pumped-up Jordan and other 'glamour' (huh!) models of today see as sexy.
    I love this gown too, and apparently the cut-away swimsuit/body stocking she is wearing caused a stir when the film was released.She's just incredibly good to watch.
    RIP Jane Russell....and thanks for all the old movies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TCVOfARKI&feature=related

9. Great limk AE, thunks.
    What an era that was for fashion, genuine glamour, and style.

10. They do, but they're just not fashionable!

Also - that was the era of the girdle don't forget... women don't wear those on a daily basis anymore. :)

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Inm glad about that coffee kid.not sure if i could undo one any more...I think my granny used to sort of slid out of hers! lol
    She was a woman with impressive assets as well as a nice personality!

12. Girdles do seem a bit of a hindrance.

As someone who loves vintage fashion, it's interesting to see how waist sizes of, say, 1950s dresses are so much smaller than those of the 60s - women cast off their girdles in the 60s with the advent of less structured clothing, and the difference in inches is noticeable.
    Fifties fashion is glorious, though.

13. ain't it though
    and so was jane russell

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Personally I preferred Marilyn.