1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Jack Charlton

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jul 11, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Jack Charlton, a World Cup winner with England and former Republic of Ireland boss, has died aged 85.

The former Leeds defender had been diagnosed with lymphoma in the last year and also had dementia.

One of English football's most popular characters, he had spells in charge of Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

He led the Republic of Ireland to their first major finals at Euro 88 and the World Cup quarter-finals at Italia 90.

A family statement read: "Jack died peacefully on Friday, July 10 at the age of 85. He was at home in Northumberland, with his family by his side.

"As well as a friend to many, he was a much-adored husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

"We cannot express how proud we are of the extraordinary life he led and the pleasure he brought to so many people in different countries and from all walks of life.

"He was a thoroughly honest, kind, funny and genuine man who always had time for people.

"His loss will leave a huge hole in all our lives but we are thankful for a lifetime of happy memories."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53373542

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Oh no. That's really sad news. I knew he'd been ill but it still feels a real loss - another one of that footballing era gone.

rachel_g41 likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

We were huge Leeds fans in the Revie era. Saw him play many times. How different things were then from the multi-millionaire players today. At one time he had a stall outside Elland Road selling Leeds scarves, caps etc. My sister was thrilled to buy something from him and be called "luv".

ms honey and rachel_g41 like this.
  4. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I was born in Middlesbrough and brought up in a house close to Ayresome park, From the bedroom window we could see the glow from the floodlights and hear the roar of the crowd. I remember (vaguely) the street parties when Jack Charlton won us promotion and then remember how much it meant when he returned in 1984 when were were in real trouble. And the pure magic of RoI in Italia 90.

RIP Jack, thanks for everything.

Jesmond12 and gainly like this.
  5. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

I gave up following football when it became a corporate business, but Jack Charlton and his brother were both ornaments to the game I grew up with. I also saw their uncle Jackie Milburn play in the last years of his career; a more wholesome era in many ways.

burajda, Jesmond12, gainly and 2 others like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

RIP Jack Charlton...I remember this story which made me giggle:

burajda, ilovesooty, ms honey and 2 others like this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I did hear he also never could remember the names of the Irish players so would call them 'the long haired one' and such, which they all responded to.

Always find it sad when one of his generation leaves us, as they all really were a different bunch.

ms honey and Kandahar like this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Another great vanishes and leaves us less talented in that area.
    May his soul rest in peace,

Jesmond12 likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So sorry to hear this - he'll never be forgotten.

Especially as he helped Chelsea to their first FA Cup win!
    Thanks, Jack! :D

FA Cup Final 1970:
    Chelsea equalised twelve minutes before the end, after a flowing move, from which Osgood scored with a diving header from a Charlie Cooke cross. Jackie Charlton should have been marking Osgood but had 'lost' him while chasing Hutchinson to exact retribution for a deadleg administered in the Chelsea penalty area a minute or so earlier.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FA_Cup_Final

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A sad day for football. RIP

He came from a great North East football family and he managed NUFC for a short while. The following is from NUFC.com

Charlton's season in charge at SJP came about following our promotion from Division Two in 1984, when financial wrangles saw Manager Arthur Cox resign and follow Kevin Keegan down Barrack Road.

Without a club following a brief caretaker spell at Boro, Newcastle fan Jack allowed himself to be talked into taking the job by his uncle, one Jackie Milburn.

Refusing a contract and imposed an initial 12 month limit in the post, Jack was to survive slightly longer than that - but not much – quitting after being barracked in a pre-season game against Sheffield United although barely 5,000 fans were at SJP.

In retrospect he should have followed his instincts and turned down the job, as his attempts to reshape the side into a more solid, less entertaining outfit didn't find favour on or off the field.

In despair after his side turned a 4-0 lead into a 5-5 draw at QPR, the likes of Pat Heard and Gary Megson arrived and a new strike duo of Tony Cunningham and George Reilly saw Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley redeployed in other roles.

As a player Jack had famously served Leeds United and England, picking up a World Cup Winners medal in 1966 alongside his brother, Bobby.

A managerial career that had seen him taste success at both Boro and Sheffield Wednesday resumed its upward progress following his departure from Gallowgate.

Appointed Republic of Ireland boss in 1986, Charlton earned himself hero status in the Emerald Isle for their exploits in both World Cup & European Championship finals over the following decade.

nomad likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Jackie Charlton used to present a TV show years ago when he would shoot various creatures in a hunting, fishing type show.

I can still remember a quote from one of the reviews of this show...

"Jackie Charlton massacres wildlife in the Norfolk Broads"

12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed. Men could be be men back then.

dumpty likes this.
  13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I was particularly moved by his presentation of an award to his brother, and the obvious respect and affection there, despite their sad estrangement. Yes, a man who was unafraid to reveal that emotion in public.

14. Katzenjammer

Sorry, made a mess of replying to a quote; early days!

15. Katzenjammer

I read in one of the papers today that whilst Mr Chartlton was managing the Magpies, one of the youth players was Paul Gascoigne, whom he described as "a chubby boy". Made me smile.

Kandahar likes this.
  16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Not a football fan at all, but I certainly know he was one of the 'old school greats'. RIP, Jack.

17. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

Charlton and Clough. Working class heroes.

cha.jpg

R.I.P. big fella.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Stories abound about him. I particularly like the one about him always paying for drinks and meals in Ireland by cheque because he knew the landlord would never cash it but frame it and put it behind the bar! Saw him play once, against Birmingham City.