1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Gary Speed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Nov 27, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

great footballer and a manager with great potential.
    [*]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8918628/Wales-boss-Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Never heard of him

3. emilystrange

played for leeds, newcastle, everton and bolton. great player. was doing a great job managing wales, too.

4. Very sad news indeed. A real shock to many and he was a highly regarded and respected figure throughout football.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Neither had I until I realised that he was one of the two guests on a BBC football lunchtime programme yesterday. I was not really watching it,it was just on. I find it very sad, that here he was ,laughting and kidding,and then, he apparently went home to kill himself.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

6. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

That is sad and shocking news.

7. lunarita

Oh God. We just have no idea of what goes on behind the smiles do we? So sad.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Me neither but a bit of a harsh reply especially when there is a link and explanation of who he is. His death will be of significance to some.

9. emilystrange

he never played for my team, or my country, but he was one that i noticed and kept an eye on because he always worked/played hard and was a good guy (as far as i know). he was respected by all sides of the game, which isn't always the case. so much good going on for him in his career... :( but obviously not inside him.
    if i feel like this, then those whose teams he graced must be shattered to find this out today.

10. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Terribly sad.

11. It was an honour to see him play so many matches for Bolton. Am completely at a loss to understand why he would take his own life, he appeared to have everything to live for: happily married, 2 lovely kids, great career, very well respected by everyone. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him. He hasn't played for Bolton for about 3 years now but I've followed his career and would watch Wales play and root for them simply because Gary was their manager. A great loss.

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

A terrible shame. Such a great player and, by all accounts, a great man. One wonders what was going through his mind - someone who to the outside world seemed to have it all - that lead him to suicide. I guess we just never know!
    My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Gary Speed.

13. emilystrange

just listening to radio 5, people who spoke and saw him yesterday just saying how happy he was. making plans to go to dinner next week, saying he wanted to do football focus again soon. robbie savage saying how he was wishing him luck for Strictly. no one had anything but great things to say about him, or knew of anything that was wrong.
    tonights 606 will be a tribute. have watched the swansea crowd's tribute to him before their game this afternoon. they called for a minute's silence, but got a minute's heartfelt applause. very moving.

14. It's incredible to think that he appeared outwardly to be happy isn't it Emily? Makes it very difficult to take in. When I heard the news my first instinct was disbelief, and then the asumption that it must have been a car crash or something. He just doesn't fit with my notion of someone who might take their own life?
    (I don't mean any disrespect in respect to anyone who has taken their own life, I'm just struggling to reconcile his apparent actions with what I know about Gary Speed.)

15. emilystrange

from the interviews that have been on, so are the people that knew him very well indeed. they can't even guess what was going on in his head. i hope that someone knew and that someone tried to help him... at least that someone tried. to feel that you have to go, so very isolated and alone, is the most awful thought.

16. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Incredibly odd story, it doesnt stack up..multi millionaire, manager of his home country, well liked and popular, wife and two kids-bizarre..I really feel for his family, Im sorry, I find it a cowardly act which has ruined the lives of many left behind

17. I don't see suicide as cowardly.

Anyway - people must have to get to such a low point to consider killing themselves - I hope I never get to that point in my life.

18. lunarita

But how is it possible that so many people get to that low point without the people around them noticing?
    It scares me.

19. emilystrange

suicide is pretty rarely the result of rational thought, imo

20. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Suicide is deeply tragic. I don't think most of us can begin to understand it, beyond accepting that it goes way beyond what we see on the surface.