1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jan 9, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

BBC Radio 1 DJ and Crackerjack presenter Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart has died, aged 74, after a stroke. Born in Devon, Ed started his career with a stint at Radio Hong Kong as an announcer, film critic and rugby reporter. Five years later, he went on to work at pirate radio ship Radio London, moored four miles offshore. He started at Radio 1 in 1967, and worked on Top of the Pops in the 1970's. On television, he was a presenter on BBC's Junior Choice and Crackerjack.

I mostly remember him from his time on Radio London.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I remember him most from Junior Choice (Sat and Sun mornings throughout the 70s) and appearances on Crackerjack (post Crowther) and TOTP.

He seems to have been unlucky with his health to have died in his early 70s, bless him.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Another dedicated Junior Choice listener. Sad news.

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Ditto to Junior Choice listener :( It's because of Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart this became my party piece to sing at various family gatherings.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Oddly, although I lived in London when Radio London was on the air, the reception was often so poor, it was hardly worth turning the wireless on. Did you live near Frinton on Sea, by any chance, nomad?

Nevertheless, I can recall hearing the 'Ello Darling thing as part of my childhood and acknowledge that the music played by the station was less dull than the output of the Light Programme, but I can't say that I was a particular fan of Ed Stewart.

He may well have been a nice enough and inoffensive bloke during his radio and TV career, but for me he falls into the same category that David Hamilton, Pete Murray and David Jacobs did when reaching for the switch the moment their programmes came on.

They all had a quality you couldn't hate in the same way you might do Chris Evans, but had a blandness about them that drained the will to live. Had his death not been announced in the news, I doubt I'd have remembered him again.

The only DJ I mourn for from that era is Ray Moore, RIP. A radio presenter, who in my opinion has been worth turning the wireless on to listen to first thing in the morning.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes, we are frequently asked to lament the passing of strangers who managed to be more well known than most for reasons that were nothing to do with their own worthiness and more to do with what their job happened to be.

7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Never one of my favourite DJs, but sorry to see him go. RIP.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was listening to him on Christmas Morning as I cooked, it seemed like something from another age and I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Likewise. Listened to all the old favourites many of which I still have on vinyl.

ilovesooty likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed, but I doubt other posters would be interested in a post along the lines of 'RIP Joe Scrote, a really good neighbour who lived at number 15 round the corner from my aunt Doris'.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, I lived in south London in the sixties and reception of Radio London, Caroline, City and North Sea International were all good.