1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP David Bowie

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Such a great loss to our times.
    I think 'Dancing in the Street' was one of my all time favourites - the way he and Mick Jagger just had so much fun with it.

Dragonlady30 and aspensquiver like this.
  2. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

Why didn't you like the existing thread?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Is there one? I couldn't see it!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Of course! I just assumed that was about cricket:oops:
    Apologies @RedQuilt

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Don't be daft! :)
    Different threads with the same initial idea often go in different directions so it's not a bad thing at all.

cissy3, Dragonlady30 and aspensquiver like this.
  8. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Why be so rude? Wasn't it obvious Lalad hadn't realised there was already a thread?

cissy3, coffeekid and Dragonlady30 like this.
  9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I hadn't either. I am sorry he died. But not to make it all about me - but mmmm - still there or thereabouts - the soundtrack of my youth.... he was the perfect union of pop and art. I respect everything he did, but nothing dings more vibrantly than the TOTP Starman arm-round Mick Ronson set, which might have been the first "get over it" thing I saw on mainsream telly.

10. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Tsk that might have one of my less favourite things. Mick totally danced him off the street.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. The media have jumped on it and are not reporting other things presumably. Maybe the Tories can use it to hide some sort of drastic announcement that we all should really care about instead of the death of a mere pop star. I find this kind of sycophancy utterly nauseous.

12. Kerry_Muir

Kerry_Muir New commenter

David Bowie obviously meant a great deal to a vast public for his music, but I have to admit that I could never see what it was about him that commanded such attention. I found the music ordinary, the lyrics pretentious and obscure, and the clothes/make up etc funny, not least because he seemed to take himself so seriously.

I switched off the tv yesterday morning when some journalist from the New Musical Express said that David Bowie was "undoubtedly the most important figure in the history of all music", dismissing [eg]Palestrina, Monteverdi, Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Tschaikovsky, Wagner, Stravinsky et al as peripheral figures, presumably.

Such extravagant words as these simply make Mr Bowie look silly, and I daresay he himself would have rejected such over-wrought praise.

Dunteachin likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't care what people have been saying about him, I care about what he meant to me 46 years ago when I saw him on TOTP and after that. He wasn't a saint and he didn't change the course of history but maybe he changed me a little bit, made me see things a little bit differently. He was part of my youth, my history. A previous generation felt the same way about Elvis.

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.
  14. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

But David Bowie was an important figure in the history of music of the 20th Centuary. It would not be appropiate to compare him to classical composers because they were of a different genre. But he would join the list of comtempory musicians from Muddy Waters, Billie Holiday, Miles Davies to Elvis, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

cissy3 and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  15. Kerry_Muir

Kerry_Muir New commenter

But David Bowie was an important figure in the history of music of the 20th Century.

I agree that Mr Bowie seems to be an important figure in the history of popular music in the 20th century, even if I cannot for the life of me see why - to me his music lacked originality, he often sang out of tune, his lyrics mixed the pretentious with the obscure, and the dressing up and slap was often the only striking thing about him. In the long term I think his influence on popular music will be seen to be negligible.

It is interesting that your roster of comparable musicians contains one of the last great blues singers, a singer whose life experience showed why all the authentic blues singers were black, and a jazz musician of enormous technical accomplishment responsible for much of the development of modern jazz [along with the MJQ, Parker and Gillespie]. And it is even more interesting that Elvis Presley and the Beatles first came to prominence by their unacknowledged ripping off of authentic black rhythm and blues. As for Led Zeppelin, again, I pass.

Constant Lambert has it right in Music Ho!, written in the 1930s. Jazz and popular music work best within the confines of a single side of an 78 record - three and a half minutes at most. Give the likes of Led Zeppelin a whole side of an LP to fill and we get the kind of pompous, overblown nonsense so ably excoriated by the late, great John Peel.

16. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

One of my early music memories was listening to John Peel playing both sides of Atom Heart Mother straight through on his show with my trannie under the pillow. Great stuff.

17. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Care to rephrase that?

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Even you can see through that.

19. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I suppose you have to be of a certain age to remember 'trannies'. Aspen is just a young thing ;)

cissy3 likes this.
  20. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter