1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RIP Broad and Balanced

Discussion in 'Primary' started by harchie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. RIP Broad and Balanced...
    hello ...Narrow & prescribed

2. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I do think though the teenagers general lack of general knowledge of hist and geog is disgustingly poor...so theres definitely as need for more facts

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely is a need for factual knowledge.

Skills based is all very well, but if you don't know anything, life is definitely poorer.

Excellent news imo.

4. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

If I was chatting to a person and they couldnt tell me who the PM was in World War 2 Id move away and think Id been chatting to the thickest man in Europe so yes, bring on the facts, a definite need for it

5. Oh yes sorry,

Facts are important . I mean we are educating pupils to appear on eggheads and the weakest link.
    Is it more important to know - or to know how to find out?

Learning facts is a sterile activity . Teaching for a test. How much can you remember.

A sad day:0(

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What a good way of twisting things round.

There are far too many teachers out there right now that think 'skills, skills, skills' all day long. Thinking that if you teach a child how to find something out they will wander off on their weekends and start reading history books or looking in an atlas. What they actually do is play xbox all weekend long and end up not knowing any sort of history/geography.

Knowledge based learning doesn't mean that you won't learn skills as well. It means you give the children something to grasp hold of - to catch their interest.

I know it's because most teachers have such a poor general knowledge themselves that many will be against any sort of knowledge based learning, but they really should think about the children first.

7. where can i find this fact?

i have a very good general knowledge and retain facts.
    My partner learned facts and has excellent gcse, A level results and degrees. However its all forgotten now.
    quite a damning statement .

8. Milgod

I'm not going to do it for you. Go and talk to the teachers in your school about a wide range of historical/geographical topics. You'd be surprised.

Why is it damning? I think the children should come first. Shame you don't agree.

9. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

And this knowledge has been a force for greater good in your life? Pointless facts are pointless. I know the answer and place very little value in it, I am much more interested in the playing positions on a rugby field, the coding of a computer game or the ins and outs of using a video camera.
    Unless a fact is essential knowledge for life, it is merely playing one person's interests against another's. A narrowed curriculum focusing on "facts" never can and never will be the answer.

10. Milgod

Missed the point a bit? Not one person is saying you just learn a series of facts are they. The fact is (that's right, I used it) though that knowledge is important in creating well rounded people. Knowledge can grab children's interest and draw them in to learning more, even creating a thirst for more knowledge.
    For many people, this knowledge has made their lives better too. I'm sorry yours hasn't, but no need to punish others for it.

11. Benbamboo

My point is that expecting every single child to be "grabbed" by the same facts is irrational. It will work for some, and indeed worked for me to some extent. But creating an educational system where the focus is on using raw facts in a few limited subjects to inspire everyone is bound to fail, especially when creative avenues are being discouraged.
    Facts/knowledge is great, but it isn't for everyone. The direction Gove is taking the curriculum in incorrectly assumes the latter.

12. Milgod

I'm no Gove lover, I can tell you that for starters.

I think some people are choosing to read the new curriculum (or the talk of one) as a very narrow series of a few facts. It doesn't have to be that way though. It is up to teachers to make the lessons interesting. The only difference being is that now teachers might actually have to use a bit of knowledge as well. The current curriculum doesn't tell me to teach my class about 'facts' but I'm able to do it anyway.
    Why would you expect every child to be grabbed by the 'same facts' anyway? That makes it sound like you are expecting to only look at one or two.
    We don't know what the new curriculum will look like exactly. I am sure there will be a great deal I don't agree with. The inclusion of more knowledge won't be it though.

13. Benbamboo

This is true, the current curriculum as it stands needs revising. There is an open consultation on the DfE website about the new curriculum. One of my major points is that the new NC needs to be a working document, not something to sit on my shelf unopened for 10 years like the current one.
    This is worst case scenario worries based on Gove's rhetoric. Hopefully what I fear will be completely unfounded and never materialise. I fully intend to teach pretty much as I do now but I worry that the curriculum, and therefore the assessment criteria, will focus on the facts (kings and queens, PMs and dates) and the teaching will reflect this.