1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rights Respecting School

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lucky Lady, Jun 21, 2011.

1. My school has recently signed up to this new initiative. Has any one elses? What is your understanding of being a Rights Respecting School ?
    Would love to hear how you started & what impact you feel it has had on your school?

2. My school has recently signed up to this new initiative. Has any one elses? What is your understanding of being a Rights Respecting School ?
    Would love to hear how you started & what impact you feel it has had on your school?

3. Oh for goodness sake - like all other school DISrespect rights. Which idiot thought this up? It's like the basic skills kitemark for reading and writing - which schools DON'T teach reading and writing? Somebody is trying to keep themselves in work by thinking up more rubbish for the rest of us.

4. Hit the nail on the head !!!!!!!

5. If you compare a school which is an RRR school and a school which isn't you will notice a big difference.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What sort of differences? I googled to see what a RRS was, but couldn't see anything that you wouldn't find in any good school, so I am intrigued as to what difference it makes.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

As am I. I am ashamed I haven't been respecting rights all this time.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know what you mean, it worries me a lot as well. All those children who keep telling me their rights must be so upset at my lack of respect. Especially when they tell me they have the 'right' to 'batter someone who disses my mum' and other such things.

9. We are actually being assessed on Thursday by some outside assessor bod to gain the Level/Grade/Stage 1 stamp of approval and, believe me, it's been hard work for the teacher leading this initiative. It's based on a thorough knowledge of Unicef's Rights of the Child and its 42 articles. Reps from Yr 6 have had to go on several conferences to talk over issues with other schools, class work, displays, parents involvement, assemblies all had to involve the whole school, charters are coming out of our ears (class, school, playground, there's probably a toilet one somewhere!)) and whole groups of children including school councillors, eco team, school shop team, tiddlies and bigguns are being primed to spend the whole day with the guy...... it's a lot of work, so be prepared!
    PS Impact???? Not a lot!!!

10. PPS: It's boring too!

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Much as I don't like the thought, I am wondering if Mr Gove might be right about there being some slack that could be removed from parts of the education system ....

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL indeed I believe you could be right.

This, healthy schools, eco-schools, sports mark, the list goes on and on and on.

13. SPORTS MARK???? Do you mean there's a bandwagon that my school hasn't jumped on??
    (Must run and tell the head.........!!!)

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOLOL

15. Our school has been working on this since September. Personally I have found it a little boring and with little impact (No I'm not the teacher leading the initiative). Most of it is common sense good practice that was happening anyway. We have just had to put up a few extra displays and change some of the language we use. So now instead of class rules we now have a class charter with our rights on (the children still use the rules even after a year). And when telling someone off instead of saying 'You musn't hit little Johnny, you have hurt him'. Now we say 'Johnny has the right to be safe and protected, you have the responsibiltity to protect his rights. So please don't hit him again.' Obviously this has been VERY effective throughout the school.

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Why? The whole idea - why??

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed.
    Total, utter, pointless, time-wasting, diverting staff from what matters - bollox.

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

God, I love the edit function. It means you can go back when the censor has asterisked your rude word and ensure it gets shown.

19. Are the children also told about teachers' rights? Do we have the right to teach in a calm, peaceful environment without constant disruption?

20. What about a parents and children taking on their bloody responsibilities for all these rights?!
    All of this really infuriates me. I have no problem with people understanding and respecting the rights of others, most children need to learn how to. What annoys me is that we have to squeeze so much into our curriculum every day that the basic standards of reading, writing and numeracy fall further because we never have any time for good quality teaching of these basic skills!