1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

right to interview?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by johnsimpson82, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi

I am currently looking at newposts.....does anyone know the deal regarding going to interview? can my current school stop me going to an interview?what are my rights regarding going for an interview??

any ideas??

thanks

John

2. Hi

I am currently looking at newposts.....does anyone know the deal regarding going to interview? can my current school stop me going to an interview?what are my rights regarding going for an interview??

any ideas??

thanks

John

3. I think they cannot stop you attending interviews within reasonable means. If you need to go on lots of them they may object.

4. intersting thanks, trying to find somewhere the pay andconditions or on the kent lea where it actually says but its tricky to find!

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

A reasonable employer would allow you time off, but they are not (to the best of my knowledge) required to grant you leave for this. It would almost certainly be unpaid if they allow it. If you have been given notice of redundancy then you are entitled to time off to look for work/training.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You need to check your individual school's policy, since although the vast majority of heads wouldn't dream of either stopping you going or stopping your pay (I certainly have never done so), there is no automatic 'right'.
    I have been known to tell staff who have had a lot of time out for things other than sickness and who started clocking up a lot of interviews that I'd be looking at whether I let them go to any more that year!

7. YOu need to let your Head know you're going to apply for jobs. They will have to give a reference for you if you are shortlisted and would probably be unhappy if they did not know beforehand that you are thinking of moving on.
    As I was on temporary contracts for the last two years, my Heads were pretty good about letting me go to interviews (at the typically short notice) and I wasn't made to take the days unpaid either.