1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Right to education for socially disadvantaged 17 year old

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by lucye, Sep 9, 2019.

  1. lucye

    lucye New commenter

    I know a 17 year old who is out of education and not in work. They are from an extremely disadvantaged background. They told me that they had applied to College and sat a functions test that they scored highly on. They want to get a Maths and English GCSE and enrol on a BTEC course (they didn't have the required entrance grades, hence the functions test). The young person told me that they have now not heard from the College and are worried that they didn't get in! As a family friend I am not authorised to chase this up for them.
    Please could someone advise what their right's are and who I could put them in touch with. It is so sad to see a young person in this situation.
  2. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    Basically, they have no rights. In theory every 17 year old is in work, education or training, but in practice many aren't and nobody enforces it.

    Your young friend should get their name down to resit Maths and English through adult education at night school. This should be free but there is often a long waiting list.

    meanwhile, they should contact the college and ask, and also ring around other colleges and sixth forms.

    lots of schools that were full last week will have had drop outs by now. or certainly be next week.
  3. SammyBear2016

    SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

    They should chase this up with the College. A phone call to the admissions office should be enough to find out if they have a place or not. It may be that there are outstanding actions on their application and the College does not look at them until everything is complete.

    They may find it difficult completing 2 GCSEs and a BTEC so could be looking at the GCSE option for this year. Depending on what it is they want to do they could look at functional skills level 2 in the short term before they can get their GCSEs.

    Are there any other colleges locally that offer the same BTEC that they wish to study? If so it might be worthwhile contacting them. I would do this asap as course will have started and if left too long they may have to wait until next year as it may be too difficult for them to catch up.
  4. saluki

    saluki Lead commenter

    The local council will somehow realise that they are a neet and round them up and send them to college to sit English and Maths. This will happen round about November or December.
    I have never yet met a college that is 'full up'. Bums on seats =money. They take every student they can fit in - and then some. I have taught classes so full that kids had to sit on the floor.
    There has been a breakdown in communication somewhere. Ring the admissions office. Ring the English and Maths department. They will get in somehow.

Share This Page