1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Right to a reference

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wheelchairteacher, May 21, 2011.

1. I wondered what right to a reference I have from my previous school? I left there last year as when I first became disabled I things were difficult and I got no support, so inevitable I should leave- though it took 5 years to find another job. Now in new job things haven't worked out- have been pretty horrendous (bullied, union involved) so regrettably again I'm looking for a job. I wondered what right I have to a reference as the general teaching council of scotland have asked twice but my previous head has still not written a reference and I'm not sure if one from my current head will count as it is not a mainstream school.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry to hear that you have been having such a difficult time lately, with your health problems and other issues.
    Now in England you have no right to a reference:
    http://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/other-issues/job-references.asp
    From your mention of the GTCS, I think that you may be North of theBorder, and I don't know what the situation is there. Often legal things are different in Scotland.
    So I suggest that you ask your Union for the legal situation on this matter.
    I must say that it sounds as though it cannot be obliged, if the Head is refusing to respond even to the GTCS.
    In which case, if your current Head is willing, why not use him/her? Mainstream or not, s/he will be able to talk about you as a loyal and co-operative colleague achieving good results with your pupils.
    Best of luck.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!