1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Right time to look for a new job? Feeling guilty...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MissKittycat, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Im a regular poster here but have started a new username as people I work with recognise me on here and I don't want them to know that i've begun looking for a new job.
    Im in my 3rd year of teaching and am otherwise happy where I am, but we have had alot of unrest this year as we have had 2 members of staff suspended, parents turning against us as they don't know the real story, and it has basically just been very very draining.
    I have tried my best not to let it get to me but I feel like my year has been more about these issues, than about teaching, and have found it hard to fous all my energy into teaching. We have just had news that one member of staff is coming back, and as she/he knows the claims made against her by us, it is only going to get worse. I am no longer happy about working in that environment. On top of this, I am likely to be moved to a different year group for the 4th year running this year. I also have never felt like ive shaken the "newby" image, and the idea of starting afresh somewhere that I can go into confidently, and not always feel like the least knowledgable person in the room, is appealing. The majority of the people I work with are lovely though and I would miss them.
    Ive seen a job vacancy for a school 5 minutes from my house (I currently drive about 30 mins each way) and have arranged to go and have a look around in my PPA time this week, but I can't shake the feeling of guilt for wanting to jump ship and leave everybody else still stuck in the whole mess. I was the last one in 3 years ago, and would be the first one out.
    It is not so much about running away but also that the idea of a new challenge and fresh approaches inspires me. Ive never in those 3 years worked under a good headteacher - when I started he was in the process of leaving, and after that our new head caused many issues leading into the current circumstances. Ive been observed formally twice, in 3 years, and never by a head.
    Should I feel guilty? Should I stick it out and support my colleagues through a tough time or is it more important to think about myself and my own career?
    I also wonder if anyone can tell me what the right course of action is when looking for a new job. I would rather my current school not know until as late as possible - is it at the stage of being called for interview that I have to tell my headteacher? Can they ask for references prior to this? When is the last day for handing in your notice to leave in the summer? Which school pays you over the summer?

Thankyou in advance :)

2. Hi,
    Im a regular poster here but have started a new username as people I work with recognise me on here and I don't want them to know that i've begun looking for a new job.
    Im in my 3rd year of teaching and am otherwise happy where I am, but we have had alot of unrest this year as we have had 2 members of staff suspended, parents turning against us as they don't know the real story, and it has basically just been very very draining.
    I have tried my best not to let it get to me but I feel like my year has been more about these issues, than about teaching, and have found it hard to fous all my energy into teaching. We have just had news that one member of staff is coming back, and as she/he knows the claims made against her by us, it is only going to get worse. I am no longer happy about working in that environment. On top of this, I am likely to be moved to a different year group for the 4th year running this year. I also have never felt like ive shaken the "newby" image, and the idea of starting afresh somewhere that I can go into confidently, and not always feel like the least knowledgable person in the room, is appealing. The majority of the people I work with are lovely though and I would miss them.
    Ive seen a job vacancy for a school 5 minutes from my house (I currently drive about 30 mins each way) and have arranged to go and have a look around in my PPA time this week, but I can't shake the feeling of guilt for wanting to jump ship and leave everybody else still stuck in the whole mess. I was the last one in 3 years ago, and would be the first one out.
    It is not so much about running away but also that the idea of a new challenge and fresh approaches inspires me. Ive never in those 3 years worked under a good headteacher - when I started he was in the process of leaving, and after that our new head caused many issues leading into the current circumstances. Ive been observed formally twice, in 3 years, and never by a head.
    Should I feel guilty? Should I stick it out and support my colleagues through a tough time or is it more important to think about myself and my own career?
    I also wonder if anyone can tell me what the right course of action is when looking for a new job. I would rather my current school not know until as late as possible - is it at the stage of being called for interview that I have to tell my headteacher? Can they ask for references prior to this? When is the last day for handing in your notice to leave in the summer? Which school pays you over the summer?

Thankyou in advance :)

3. myweedyallotment

myweedyallotment New commenter

4. You would be expected to name your current Headteacher as a referee on your application, and it is usual for references to be taken up in advance. You can specify that you do not want referees contacted in advance, but the potential employer would probably wonder why - I don't know if that would affect your application or not, but in the current employment market it's not something I would risk myself.
    Last date for resignation is 31st May and your contract runs until the end of August, so regardless of employment elsewhere in September, you would be paid by the current employer until then. That would only change if you negotiated an early release from your contract - for example, if the new school wanted you to start this term and your current school was prepared to let you go.
    If you mean that you started in your current post as an NQT and this is your first position, then moving on after a few years is very common, and doesn't have to be associated with the current problems in your school.

5. Don't feel guilty about it.
    You need to tell your HT you are looking. Heads talk and they may ask for references before interview (I know this has been the case in all jobs I have interviewed for). It is also courtesy to ask the HT to provide you with a reference.
    The last day for notice is the 31st May. Your current school will pay you until the end of August as this is when your contract will terminate.

6. Thankyou Jazz, that's really helpful. I would be fearful of telling my acting head and colleagues that I was applying for a new job, then not getting it and have to carry on working there them knowing that I was looking for something new..but I suppose that is how the cookie crumbles!

7. Hah, just given my identity away anyway! Oh well :)

8. myweedyallotment

myweedyallotment New commenter

You can tell your head you are looking. You can ask him to keep it confidential. I have done this before and the head kept it to himself. In fact I didn't tell anyone until the day I left.

9. PFF's advice about informal references is probably more relevant!
    It's still valid to say you want to broaden your experience as a reason for moving on - a teacher at my son's school moved after only a couple of years for that reason. It was a shame, because she was really good - but not a shame for her, obviously :) and she didn't leave (as far as I know) because of any problems at the school, just said she'd been advised that it wasn't a good idea for an NQT to stay in their first school too long. Don't know how widespread that advice is, but it's still a reasonable basis for moving, and perhaps would make staying put if you don't get a job elsewhere less of a problem?

10. than mine, I meant, not myweedyallotment's ...

11. Thanks for the replies. Im going to look around the school as arranged and then see how it 'feels'. I may go back to work after this fortnight off and feel inspired again!