1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Right thinking caps on for me please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Aug 17, 2012.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have decided i wish to drag myself out of this malaise or boredom and being pe ed off
    So i have decided i want to restart studying again
    Im looking for your opinions in 2 areas
    1) i want to take up my painting and being aware in still a beginner would iI be better on day courses or a 'study ' course...bearing in mind some the study courses are expensive and I am poor.I am interested in watercolour.but never done acrylis or oils.although i have the materials from a time when i was going to do it....but never quite did! lol
    would one day be better than weekend etc?
    Maybe some one might want to tutor me locally? even if its of a weekend
    2) to undertake my interest in photography
    I looked at a HND 2 year course but £6500 over two years is way past my pocket.Plus you have to provide a profile of work...and im never sure which of mine is 'good' as im always critical of my own efforts. Im not into quirky stuff.and i assume this is what colleges will want witha range of items showing creativty.
    so
    any course you are aware off,done or heard off
    any particular landscape photographer who might take on a learner
    I dont mind some travelling do might be local one to you or your area...as long a reachable fro london

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

You might know do several mini adult course a year at my local college.

We have done several cooking classes, eg Mediterranean, Chinese etc.

It might be worth seeing if your local college runs these as we pay about £50 for 10 weeks, 1 night a week. But they do run weekend courses etc.

Eg a quick google for adult photography in london threw up several results

eg http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Beginners-Digital-Photography-courses/page_pls_user_course_details/16180339/0/w/54086966/page.htm

3. Although having a teacher may be the best, the costs might be too high?
    I think you can get all sorts of 'teaching' materials on CD's ...... DVD's or whichever.
    I know I have seen some for painting...... and books of course.
    Check out the web.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

This is an obvious point, I know, but have you checked out the adult education opportunities in your area? These are usually a reasonably economically viable prospect, and you may well get a discount.

5. Check out the big craft sites

6. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Adult education colleges offer a range of courses (you probably know that already, but it's worth reminding...)
    Lambeth does a variey of special interest course that don't cost the earth (Painting and Drawing £75 for 10 weeks)
    It might be a start...
    http://www.lambethcollege.ac.uk/courses/category/special-interest/
    Maybe your local borough does something similar?

7. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

One of my daughters, who was a teacher, did a photography course at night school. It wasn't expensive, and she has done part time photography work ever since. The course was about 7 years ago and this August she leaves teaching to become a full time photographer.

8. smoothnewt

9. Great idea and good luck
    Just having the mental energy to start finding new interests is a huge step forward when you've had a bad time like yours, art is a fantastic thing to do to lift mood and express stuff
    I'm not in that area but most colleges/ unis have a huge range of courses hope you find one that suits you.

10. oldsomeman

thanks gargs.that s to sort of thing
    I might add that although i can do distance courses and indeed have books on painting etc...i tend to find for painting i like 'company' for that..so i can ask questions etc if things go wrong or i need advice
    I have searched to local areas but there is a bewildering array of course......and i really am unsure whare i start.
    For eaxample i did basic watercolours....then realised that the method was do your own a nd we will correct you....but i realty what i wanted was someone to show me what to do and then say you do.(forever a school teacher lol)I need folk to create in me ideas.once im motoring along i wil dvelop my own but its hard to be inspired on your own.
    if i did photography would i be better doing a 'certified course..........or day ones.....

11. oldsomeman

thanks for thaty link that is handy
    i shall enquire although knowing newham they might only want residents..but ill try

12. It sounds to me ( though I know nothing) that you are missing the interaction with groups of people so maybe a course would enable that - seeing people on a regular basis and discussing ideas?

13. smoothnewt

What's your borough, Olds?
    They may well offer similar.