1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Right of Response to Poor Quality Reviews?

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Jan 3, 2016.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Given that our audience is teachers, and assessing the work of others is effectively a professional competence, I've had some surprisingly poor quality reviews of my resources. For example, I've had reviews that:

- aren't about the resource, but appear to be about the YouTube video that I mentioned in the description of the resource

- say that they are based on a "quick look" at the resource

- give fewer stars than other reviewers, but no comment to explain why

- give one star and a comment that is factually incorrect

I don't want Resources to turn into Trip Advisor, where every negative review has a response from the hotel/attraction owner, but there are times when some sort of response is necessary. I don't want Resources to turn into Trip Advisor, where every negative review has a response from the hotel/attraction owner, but there are times when some sort of response is necessary, either to point out that the reviewer is incorrect, or to clarify certain points.

I'm also wondering whether a rating of three stars of less should be qualified by a comment.

What do you think?

Mrsmumbles and ELM90 like this.
  2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

I would love to get reviews! I find it increasingly frustrating that people choose not to leave you a review.
    When I spoke to TES in the summer, I suggested a feedback system in a similar style to eBay. Something that's easy to do and if they don't feel they want to leave a review, then they don't have to - the star rating does the talking for them.
    In the case of negative reviews, I've not really had any to complain about. Some comments are pernickety but I take that as a reflection of the reviewer, rather than a resource, especially if all other reviews are from satisfied downloaders! It's hard not to take offence though, when so much effort has been put into the resources.
    Potentially, having the opportunity to respond to feedback may create more issues and negativity. As long as you know your resource and description are in line with each other, then more than the majority of people will see and understand that.

hasslethehog likes this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Negative reviews are fair enough - it's a matter of opinion after all - it's mainly the ones that are clearly not about the resource or are factually incorrect that I'm really thinking about.

4. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

TPT allows you to respond to reviews/comments. The reviews I've had so far have been positive but it's still nice to be able to respond with a thanks or in some cases people say how they have used a resource and it can be good to comment back on this with details of future plans etc. All of which I think is useful for people as they can see whether resources are being actively developed etc.

hasslethehog likes this.
  5. kibishipaul

kibishipaul New commenter

Like 'thinky', the majority of the reviews I've had on TPT have been positive. The comments have been a great help in sorting out any problems with my resources and learning about the target audience I've been getting for my lessons. I've only once had a poor review I disagreed with, and it was obvious that the teacher in question hadn't really read the product explanation. I was able to organize a refund through TPT for the teacher and get rid of the poor rating. Sometimes on TES, I feel I'm living in a vacuum. So far I've had one rating and comment from a teacher on the US site, which was a happy surprise. Even on my free product which has had well over a thousand downloads, I have not received a single review.

6. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I accidentally didn't load a file and ended up with a bad review that TES removed for me once I corrected the mistake. More reviews would be very helpful indeed. On the other hand I regret giving a good rating to a free resource that looked excellent but proved to be nonsense once I actually tried to teach with it. It would be worth it for us AND TES if more purchasers could be provided with an incentive to leave helpful reviews.

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I've only raised a couple of comments with TES and these were people who had managed to upload lists of completely unrelated stuff for sale like handbags! They were quickly removed. Or one instance when someone said they couldn't open a resource which had to be their equipment as no one else had a problem. If I get a review which goes completely counter to others for the same resource, I have sent a personal message to the poster to acknowledge their remarks and ask for suggestions for change! As for people giving stars - who knows what anyone judges by. As they have to download, look at or use the resource and then sign back in to comment, I normally feel quite pleased they've bothered at all!

8. thinky

How do you send somebody a personal message?

I find this site quite clunky to use.

hasslethehog likes this.
  9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

You need a "Conversation" - click on your icon at the top-right of the page.

10. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

Thanks, I didn't know about conversations.

11. thinky

Thanks - I'm impressed that anybody ever discovered that!

12. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Like so many things, it was easier before the improvements!

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

It is always something special when anyone gives you a thank you or a kind remark about the work you've done - ie rather like finding a diamond - and yet we try to get children to say thank you, ha ha Good luck to you all. The authors all deserve "thank you's."

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

I e-mailed the TES to ask whether I could reply to the review that was factually incorrect, and they actually removed it for me. I wouldn't seek to do that with negative reviews that were a matter of opinion, but I thought that this one was misleading, and obviously they agreed.

15. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

16. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

One reviewer described my site as the best one out there and gave me one star as it was then temporarily unavailable when I was in the process of migrating the site to a new free provider!

17. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I hate when people rave about your product in comments but give low stars. What's that all about??

VirtuallyQatarted likes this.
  18. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

I personally would not want a 'poor' review removed; rather as with TpT I would prefer to be able to comment - there is no way to do this on TES. Has TES given any response to what appears to be the answer to many of your concerns?

19. sjb1987

sjb1987 New commenter

I've just had this issue. Someone left a one star review and a comment just saying 'avoid this.' Infuriating as it gave no indication as to why it should be avoided, or what I could do to improve the resource. Not very professional really! Thanks for the tip on starting a conversation, I've sent them a message so hopefully they can expand on the feedback and I can edit the resource for future users!

20. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I really wish that there were NO STARS for anyone's work. For the people who have worked really hard to give people freely (or cheaply) their own very hard work, why is it necessary that other people judge it and decide what level of "mark" they should receive, or give them nothing as the thanks for their hard work, whilst using it in their classrooms? I have written about "thank you's" yes, but we seem to be living in a dreadful age where achieving stars and winning competition is what matters. I'm a children's poet as well as a teacher, as you know. I write on many subjects, but I especially write about "doing your best" and telling children that we can't all be best but we can always try our best. The feeling of "failure" is terrible. I'm afraid that I don't enter poetry competitions. I've done my best to write good poems - not for adults judging my poems for children to enjoy. I wrote them for my local children week by week, and in the style they liked. The fact they sat quietly, (usually cross-legged on the floor with heads resting on hands - as you'll picture in your minds) and the fact that you could have heard a pin drop, and the hands waving and questions following and the enthusiasm for the next poem was, in my mind, my stars. I'll say again: No stars please TES, but please encourage those who use our freely given work to write a word of thanks to us and tell us if it was useful and if there is anything else we can do to help them. We do deserve some thanks and encouragement as well as children do.