1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

right angles year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by honey:), Mar 18, 2007.

1. Hi

Anyone know of any right angles resources or interactive whiteboard resources I could use in my observed lesson this week? thanks :)

2. Hi

Anyone know of any right angles resources or interactive whiteboard resources I could use in my observed lesson this week? thanks :)

3. I was observed teaching a right angle lesson for Y3 and got really good feedback. Take the children into the school hall, label each wall north, south, east, west and play a little game so that they become familiar with the compass points (ask them how to remember the order, such as 'never eat slimey worms'). I then started off using roamer first - the children had to work in small groups, write instructions on their whiteboards to move roamer around a square and then they tried them out. This helped them to understand that 90 degrees is a right-angle. We then talked about different ways of saying 'turn left' (anticlockwise), what a quarter turn would be and what 180 degrees would be etc and then got them to turn following directions such as 'a quarter turn clockwise' 'turn 90 degrees left' 'turn 2 right angles anticlockwise'. The children really enjoyed it.

4. Thanks, what a great idea :)

5. delma

delma New commenter

I got taught 'Never Eat Shredded Wheat' to remind me of the four compass points!

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

As I live abroad and the kids don't know what Shredded Wheat is, I teach Never Eat Stinky Wheat Not sure the Nestle guys would like us to teach the kids to stay away from one of their products, even though I learnt the same thing ;-)

7. I told the children 'never eat shredded wheat' and asked them if they could think of anything different that would help them to remember the compass points. It was one of the boys who came up with 'never eat slimey worms'. Another suggestion was 'never ever suck wood' - I didn't understand at the time why the LSA and DH (who was observing me) were falling over laughing - I think I was concentrating too hard on the lesson to pick up on the sexual connotations (thank goodness!) (not that a Y3 boy would have meant that!)

8. delma

delma New commenter

that's true, actually..Nestle could be on my case now!I think it's because of the rhyming aspect that it's easy to remember...I like the stinky wheat..will have to consider using that

9. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

10. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

I assume you also know that old standby "looking for rightangles" where each child folds a tissue paper or gummed paper circle into quarters and uses it (folded) to measure and find right angles????

11. I listed some Angle Monsters in my ebay store yesterday - you could easily make your own, or even get the children to design their own. Have a look -

www.teachers-take-away.co.uk

They're in the Bargain Basement section!

Good luck with it!