1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Right, all you lovely people - a washing machine problem;)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by savannah1, Jun 16, 2011.

1. This happens to me too, but not every time. 'Tis a mystery!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's too out of condition to move.

3. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Haha...I know, Savannah - it's so frustrating though. I've given the compartment a good cleaning and put the washer on a quick wash with an empty drum with soda crystals in each compartment to try to clear 'any' blockages. But sadly, that hasn't worked. Grrrrr!!!

4. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

It's one of those aqualtis machines too! I'm missing the 'groovy' music and seeing my clothes swim beautifully around in it!

5. Hi, my machine does the same. Unfortunately it may be gunged up with black yuk. This stops the water rinsing the conditioner through the compartment. First, rinse out the tray and remove all the residue. Then look inside above where the tray usually is. If there is alot of rubbish in the little holes clean them out with a cotton bud. Also the larger hole can get gunged but would not cause this problem. If this isn't the problem, then I haven't a solution. Then I would recommend a service.
    Good luck.
    Oh by the way, this helps mine for a few weeks then I have to do it again. I do have a large family though, and machine is in constant use.

6. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Hmmm....right, I'll try that, thanks so much.
    And we have 4 kids too...never off - it's like the proverbial Chinese laundry;)

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

We live in a hard water area, and have a black slime monster that has decided to set up home in the little holes above the conditioner drawer. It loves a damp atmosphere, so I have to remove the drawer after every ruddy wash, and leave it to drip dry on the sink. After a few washes you need to perform the following ritual.
    You must squirt a good frothy limescale remover upwards into the compartment (be generous) and massage it well into the holes with a soft nail brush (well, it works a treat here at Rosie Towers), to loosen the monster's grip. It will evolve into a big beastie if you let it, so do this regularly.
    After the holes are cleaned, run the empty machine on a short spin cycle to remove any slimy debris that would otherwise stick like glue to your next load of washing, usually something pale and precious.
    Good luck.

8. Put some vinegar (preferably white vinegar essence, costs a pittance) in the drawer, bung a towel in the washer (so no empty load) and allow to run at highest temperature (boil wash).
    Do this at least once a week until the problem is solved.
    Check your filter. If bunged up, empty.

9. pipe cleaners can be even more effective than cotton buds

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Actually i use bits of wire from a wire coat hanger if i need something stiffer to shift it!

11. What actually is the point of fabric conditioner?

12. when they first came out, 'which' washed clothes to destruction and found they lasted longer with f c
    especially if you don't tumble dry, cuts down ironing
    many fabrics feel nicer - i try to divide washes into 'with' and 'without' to minimise usage, but i am gobsmackingly mean

13. Er what's ironing?

j/k I do actually own an iron I, I didn't think I did but found one in a cupboard

14. do you tumble dry everything?
    have you checked the cost?

15. I decided to stop using fabric conditioner because of this very problem.
    And I haven't noticed much of a difference
    (And I still don't iron, but air dry. Seems to work ok for most things)

16. may depend on fabrics used - if i forget fc, i do notice the difference

17. Use Bold! [​IMG]
    [Other washing powders are available]

When I got my first tumble dryer, my electricity bills didn't change much. That was long ago, though, and far away ...

18. That looks really interesting! Have seen similar elsewhere and was a bit sceptical, but good to hear recommendations.

19. No I don't tumb;e dry, I put things on hangers, straighten them out and hang them up to dry. Things like shirts, suits, dresses that is. Pants and T shirts go on the rotary dryer outside or I might tumble dry in the winter.