1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree!
    In one school I worked in (v small indie) the Principal would observe me and all would be good.
    Then he'd say 'in MFL we do it like this'.
    I'd answer 'But this is not MFL this is Science and we do it this way'.
    Observers are like OFSTED inspectors......they have to find fault to justify their existence.
    Do doctors get observed? Lawyers? Engineers? Dentists? Policemen?
    No...................so why teachers all the frickin' time!!!!

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

When i decided to qualify for teaching here in the Uk I was surprised (and miffed) to discover that my MA hons degree in English Literature and Language did not exempt me from taking the English exam for QTS.
    The ceaseless 'training ', the repetition of never-ending PD sessions suggest either or all of the following.
    1. None of the sessions we attended last time were any good, so we're doing them all over again.
    2. Our retention levels are lower than a neonate and we will need constant reminding.
    3. There's a superfluity of free time in the school that needs filling with something.

Newidentity, ATfan, install and 3 others like this.
  3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

4. It's easier to make everyone do something than it is to figure out who has already done the training and let them off.

With you on the skills tests (MSci Theoretical Physics with Mathematics, still had to take numeracy). At least they were easy; no prep required and done in an hour or so.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Because we are treacherous, slippery, lazy creatures, and must be closely monitored to justify our short working day and endless holidays to the taxpayer.

blushingberry, S1G7FD, ATfan and 5 others like this.
  5. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

"Why are you getting them to copy off the board"?
    "Because that is Newtons first law. They have to be able to state it from memory".
    "It would be better if you could allow them to discover it for themselves".
    "..."

6. BillyBobJoe

"Can you buy me with an infinitely large frictionless pool table?"

7. costermonger

No that's excessive. Standard size pool table with zero friction would do it, plus some masses of zero size, some kind of aiming system to allow zero size masses to hit each other (yet to be invented, or conceived of) and the Nobel prize committee on standby.
    Either that, or just the ordinary classroom, and a cleverness serum to increase the intellect of all the pupils to that of Newton at the height of his genius.

8. BillyBobJoe

Surely if we're to discover with any certainty "...or remain at constant velocity..." we need an at least arbitrarily large one, to test and disprove the Aristotelian hypothesis that an object will come to rest on its own unless a force propels it in order to settle on the Newtonian one?

install and agathamorse like this.
  9. costermonger

Well, you could test that with a large frictionless area, but my imaginary and impossible aiming system for sizeless particles would have to have a tracking system of perfect accuracy to work. If the objects didn't slow down at all in 4 feet, they won't slow down over infinity.
    I don't think the budget would stretch to an infinite frictionless table.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. BillyBobJoe

I assumed that if we were going to break physical laws we could break the budget.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Perhaps you could trip up the observer on their way out and, as they are pick themselves up nursing a broken nose, you could ask them, triumphantly, "Understand it now, then?"

It also reminds me of those Nuffield experiments, back in the Sixties. Given an empty matchbox and some elastic bands, a student should be able to derive the Schrodinger Equation in half an hour.

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The frequency of observations in a school is one sign that it has a 'management tumour' growing within it, and the number of managers equals the number of the managed. Managers have to have something to do, and constantly observing those they supposedly manage is an easy option for them. In addition, being able to observe other staff is a status symbol; the more you do it the more enhanced your status; the same is true about calling meetings.

In the last few years of my career, we were subject to: formal observations, informal observations, learning walks, drop ins, pop ins, and interruptions by various hobby horse riders to see whether we were incorporating the particular bees they had in their bonnets into our teaching. ("I notice that you haven't mentioned traveller children once in your lesson about the Haber Process.")

There were so many people wandering about interrupting lessons that the outgoing one would would bump into the incoming one in your classroom doorway.

S1G7FD, ATfan, bombaysapphire and 4 others like this.
  13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This sums it all up!

14. install

install Star commenter

There was a school I was in years past where I was very tempted to drop a hint...something like this :cool:

Dear Observer

1 Don’t give me a Grade! :p

I’ve already qualified and am paying of the £36, 000 for that privilege. I don’t want an Outstanding or a Fail because it’s meaningless and demeans what grades are really for.

2 Don’t email whilst you are observing me work!;)

I really could show my ‘urgent’ emails sent by the HT and slt all sitting in their offices demanding I respond before my lesson ends.

3 Don’t lie!:eek:

You knew the students were coming in late all the time, I asked for your support and have chain of emails going back three months full of assurances that it will be chased up. That my phone calls home, letters sent, detentions set with no back up was all I could do within my power.

4 Don’t be a hypocrite !:confused:

Your books have never been marked. I know the students in my form show me them every week. My marking is weekly at least with all the teacher assessment, self assessment and peer assessment

5 Feel free to help:D

Seeing as you are here rather than your office and seeing as you haven’t shown one ounce of real care for the learners in this room, how about helping in the absence of the promised student support ?

The student at the front is entitled to SEN Support - but the school took it away last month.

Thankyou - and the HT said to let you know ‘There is no money for school stuff and your pay rise it’s on its way’ ;)

15. install

install Star commenter

edit

16. costermonger

How very dare you!

agathamorse and BillyBobJoe like this.
  17. tstockwell86

tstockwell86 New commenter

In an observation during my ITT year by my mentor and also my uni tutor, I received the following:

Mentor: There was some chatting going on, you should have taken planners.
    Me: I did, I took five.
    Mentor: For top set year 7? That's too many.

There was no chatting after taking said planners.

Also, I let a girl go to the toilet about 10 mins before the end of the lesson. Year 7, and literally squirming in her seat. I zoned out while the mentor and uni tutor spent about 10 minutes debating whether or not I should have let her go, and what I should have done instead. Wonder if they'd have helped clean up if she'd have wet herself.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

You told them the answers!

Well, yes, that's how we get them to mark the work that they've just done.

agathamorse and bajan like this.