1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I've been told of for doing the parts of the lesson in the wrong order, when they are in the only order that it is possible to run them in with the glitches in the systems and platforms we are supposed to be using. One platform takes 15 minutes to load, and an't be preloaded and put on hold, so I load it before the lesson and start with that. Yes that does mean that the starter, which is always a revision task, comes second, but unless they would like me to start with the starter, then give students a 15 minute break while I load the second platform up....

Catgirl1964, ajrowing and agathamorse like this.
  2. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

I'm sorry to hear that you've been through all that.

This bit makes me blood boil. It's almost as if teachers are expected to be robots with no personality or interests...

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd be livid if I were you. Contact your Union. Incidentally you say 'two staff observed at parts during the lesson...didn't know I was being observed'. If you don't know in advance this isn't 'observing' but stalking! I'd refuse to do any more lessons online (just set/mark work electronically) unless the school apologise & guarantee in writing that they won't do this again.

And I'd tel them to explain to you EXACTLY how showing Disney figurines breaks 'safeguard protocol'. Chapter and verse! If necessary raise a grievance against whoever said this...

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Probably they are afraid that it means that you will be able to recognise a Mickey Mouse operation!

5. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Thanks for your comments, whilst I was actually teaching on that hour, the school's SLT emailed an updated protocol list for those staff who are teaching online, and included a battery of things to observe. One of them was that a member of staff should come into the teaching to ensure everything is fine, and I must record the meeting, which I did anyways (for my own safety).

I have told them to withdraw the safeguarding allegation or I will make it public, given how nonsensical and silly it makes them appear - I did the school a favour and observed every other protocol, and its not like they saw a swastika flag in my background! So they've withdrawn it and apologised for being over-zealous, as they only got an updated protocol quite late. I have told them I will decide whether to carry on teaching online, given the hassle they've created.

6. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Observing lessons online? This all seems a bit ridiculous to me to be honest. We all know that online lessons are clearly not the same as face-to-face ones what with tech issues, more teacher-centred activities, slower transitions, more explanation needed, etc. It does seem unfair for schools to be applying observation protocols from normal obs to online obs.

7. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Virtual background as a safeguarding protocol? Talk about overkill. I can't get them to work for me no matter how plain the wall is behind me - I've tried all over my house and when I apply one either I half blend into it or it keeps showing bits of whatever is actually behind me when I move. Tech isn't perfect and schools really should understand this. As long as what's behind you isn't offensive then why should it matter?

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That seems reasonable.

agathamorse and Eflmeister like this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Good for you. Not sure about the excuse they gave, but it looks like you applied the required amount of pressure.

10. HarleyLiz

HarleyLiz New commenter

I did a Powerpoint for an introductory lesson to Y3 about Ancient Egypt.

My first 3 slides showed where Egypt was in the world. It just helped orient the children and was done quickly in the lesson - probably a minute at most.

Part of the feedback from the woefully ineffective 'school advisor' (who everyone loathed with a passion) was that those 3 slides didn't need to be on the Powerpoint!

Thankfully he isn't our adviser any longer.

This is also the same guy that was observed having a wee in the car park! :D:D:D

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I translated the title of the poem DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI into English.
    Feedback. " over didactic"

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Let's face it, an observer observes and if, at the end of the lesson, there's nothing to observe then either you are astonishingly amazing at the job, the observer was asleep or they are ticking the box. Teaching for 35/36 years now, I've been developed more times than Kodak film, observed more times than the transit of Venus.
    I've done exactly the same lesson with radically different results. Bonkers. Having just read about the poster who was observed without his/her knowledge. Whatever was seen must be invalid surely ?

13. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Ewwww !- he couldn't wait to get home or use the school toilets. What a disgusting loser !!!! '... those 3 slides didn't need to be on the powerpoint.' - Should have told him he didn't need to be on the payroll hahaha.

14. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

If he was having a wee in the car park I hope you reported him to the police for indecent exposure. :)

jlishman2158 likes this.
  15. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

What constitutes decent exposure?

bombaysapphire and Bedlam3 like this.
  16. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I totally agree! Unfortunately, it is happening as I can testify from personal experience.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Gross! I'm surprised he wasn't reported for public indecency and safeguarding concerns.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I've posted this before but I'd invite any person interested in doing online observation to observe the middle digit of my right hand.

Eflmeister and agathamorse like this.
  19. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I mentally did this as well but was not in a position to do so physically! I got my revenge in another way though by turning the tables! I observed the observer and the person who wrote the policy!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  20. Jemima_1

Jemima_1 New commenter

During my NQT year, I asked my mentor at the time if she had any advice. I had been observed twice and both times graded 'good' - I wanted outstanding (naively, now I realise it is completely dependent on who observes you, what time of day and whether or not your observer got out of bed on the left or the right) so had gone and spoken to her. I explained to her that I wanted to reach my full potential etc etc...

Her response is something that will forever stay with me and something I will NEVER say if asked for advice - "You need to think about what you want the children to learn and how you are going to get them there". Revolutionary!

The feedback from one of the previous observations was that because I could see the children were struggling with the concept (low ability Y4 in a maths lesson on multiplication) so rather than plough on with an approach that clearly wasnt working, I jumped ship and went back a step as it was obvious to me that this is where the gap was. By the end of the lesson the children had achieved their objective and I went for feedback, to be told that as I had not stuck to my plan my teaching could not be considered outstanding as no learning took place. With a few more years experience under my belt, this is even more laughable to me! I dont know anyone in their right mind who would mindlessly follow a lesson plan just because someone was watching!