1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

2. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

During an OFSTED inspection, I was observed teaching with the lesson objective lifted directly from the NC document: "Use the term 'speech marks'." And I did, throughout the starter, main lesson and plenary. As did all my wonderful class, who worked their socks off and did me proud. The inspector, who had apparently taught for a total of 4 years, about 20 years ago, began her feedback with, 'Well, what do you think your class got out of that then?', continued to complain that they obviously already knew all about speech marks and I should have assessed each child prior to the lesson (this was the 3rd week in Sept) and her final flourish was 'and you never used the term 'inverted commas' once. She failed the lesson.

3. Hopeful25

Hopeful25 New commenter

"Your class are using the wrong pencils!"

4. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

perhaps

upload_2020-2-16_20-15-28.png

or

upload_2020-2-16_20-15-42.png

bevdex and ATfan like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Perhaps one of the few people even more stupid and ignorant than he is.[​IMG]

ridleyrumpus and ATfan like this.
  6. sjw3915

sjw3915 New commenter

I once got criticised in a maths lesson ( Primary) that when dividing the digits move to the right in their place value columns. Ie 123 divided by 100 would be 1.23. The head said, and I quote... ‘ in Cheshire we teach them that the decimal point moves.’ And I thought - but didn’t say- well if you teach like that in Cheshire then you’re doing it wrong! I mean I’ve heard of that as a shortcut when revising for SATS in year 6 but to actually teach that from the word go? What an idiot !

bevdex, SundaeTrifle, ATfan and 5 others like this.
  7. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

Just had an interview. They said that I took risks with learning which was good. The lesson had real potential and was quite good. But then I let them do a worksheet for 10 mins and they should have only spent 6 minutes on it. They said in the whole lesson there was 4 mins dead time. So in the whole lesson, they were kept active except for 4 mins, and the observer gave me it to the second (3 mins 58 seconds).
    They were talking and discussing extension questions. Some schools are really taking advantage of the job situation. They keep crying out for teachers in certain subjects, but then treat them like this. There is no real job crisis in teaching they just want the cheapest for extortionate hours, and scrutinize them to the nth degree hence they burn out quickly. I will be laughing my head off, when the job climate and austerity ends and no one want to come to there school. Already happened to a few. A couple schools asked me to come back after being shoddily treated at interview.

8. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

May I add all the other candidates were younger than me at the age of 45. I am really becoming scared now, because a lot of the people I know say that getting a job at this age is more difficult although you can still do it, it does become harder. A lot of people said they have an escape plan at 50, but that's the problem. I don't. All I have ever done since my mid 20's is teaching. Now that looks like it is running out. May be I'm wrong but have to admit compared to my 20's or early 30's, I do find it a lot more tiring and don't have as much energy to do things like I use too. Feeling very deflates being in the career for nearly 20 years

9. musobob

musobob New commenter

I say this almost every day, I think I am going to have it tattooed on my forehead!

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  10. scottishgypsy

scottishgypsy New commenter

In my last lesson observation, the only idea for improvement was to use lollipop sticks to decide on which child should answer the questions. I, of course, immediately rushed out to buy a set - not!

Catgirl1964, blazer and agathamorse like this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

Oh those lollipop sticks. Sign of utter failure on part of those who recommend them to be able to appropriately select children and questions.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I recall a supply of these being purchased at my school. The great thing about them is that nobody need see which one you actually pick.

13. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

During the final weeks of my pgce my tutor DrW turned up to observe me with a year 9 class. She criticised me for doing a revision lesson. Head of department told Dr W. that given the ks3 SATs were only a week away there would have been trouble if I had done anythingelse

14. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

When I first encountered the use of lollipop sticks as a learning and teaching tool ('lol'..., excuse the pun), I almost burst out laughing.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

When I first encountered the idea of using lollipop sticks as a learning and teaching tool ('lol'... excuse the pon), I almost burst out laughing. Even worse, it was recommended as a behaviour management tool : 'keep them interested'; novelty factor (I must say, I was overjoyed when I saw coloured lollipop sticks in the pound shop :p). Needless to say, I've never used lol sticks (as I now call them, as I actually burst out laughing anytime I come across them in teaching circles, especially when I see new teachers using them - poor lost, misguided souls). Primary school, perhaps they have some use; but when I'm teaching a class to prepare for an exam in secondary, I don't think so. Never mind the self-esteem issues that arise when our snowflaky Gen Z learners are put on the spot. I've always found it best to tell learners what to do, make sure they shut up and do the work they're told to (or else they get punished). Nothing wrong with old school teaching - worked for me in a tough inner-city school for many years, and I've had a much easier teaching life as a result.

I'd like to join the TALSA (Teachers Against Lollipop Sticks Association) - who wants to join ?

16. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

17. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

Totally agree with you educ8 maths. I have always been one to try and bring teaching alive with experiments, role plays, songs etc, but can't do this without the underlying baseline of respect and behaviour.

Of course we have to negotiate, bargain, compromise, but this is not going to happen without the underlying trust in the teacher and a base line of respect for the teacher with a good policy and the trust of SLT that won't always question every single behaviour decision you make and trust that the pupils was behaving in an inappropriate way.

I remember when you were applauded for going in firm but fair, striking that balance well with engaging lessons. Now it seams to be you can't even go in firm but fair in a lot of schools to gain that underlying respect and that SLT expect you to wave a magic wand with your magical exciting engaging lesson all behaviour issues dissolve away like salt in water. Some SLT are so unreasonable and out of touch with teaching. They couldn't arrange a P::::::::: up in a brewery some of them.

Educ84Math, agathamorse and S1G7FD like this.
  18. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

PS I forgot to mention to engage pupils with exciting lessons and jaw dropping engaging experiments and activities, you do often need good behaviour or else it becomes dangerous and I refuse to do practical or engaging potentially medium risk activities without a reasonable amount of good behaviour (Though you will often get some low level, but not running around the room refusing to do anything the teacher says, even when it is to take safety precautions, which it often is).

agathamorse and S1G7FD like this.
  19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I suppose this works at your school in the science labs too?

Just wondering as I have found it pretty tricky to move desks with sinks and gas taps in them.

Would I be put in capability for not following the rules?

20. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Depends really, some people find it incredibly hard to remember names.

Going "You, yes you laddy" isn't good practice..