1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Devil work - agreed ! Nowadays, we have to get the pupils to think for themselves (lol). In fact, all the teachers should just go home and let the pupils work things out for themselves in the classroom. This would save the state a tonne of money, keep the inspectors happy, and produce a generation of free-thinking geniuses who, when they enter the real world, can't follow simple instructions (because anything they think and do must be valid, regardless of any workplace rules) and wonder why they got sacked :)

2. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

It's all a game (as my HOD) once told me - once you play their game according to their rules, they give you plenty of ticks and not too many points for improvement. They basically leave you alone if you play their evil game. One of the many reasons I quit after 13 years in secondary school. Best decision I made in my career. I'm still young enough to progress in my new job (college lecturer).

ESOLgirl, Shedman, ATfan and 2 others like this.
  3. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

I taught the exact same lesson to 2 first-year (S1 - Scotland) classes. The first lesson was observed by my HOD, who thought it was very good. The second one, observed by my HT, was highly critical. Moral : no consistent standards all the way to the top.

FrankWolley, blue451, drek and 11 others like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I sympathise with you. On being told this, you must have felt that you had entered the 'Twilight Zone'.

blue451, agathamorse and ATfan like this.
  5. hlcook89

hlcook89 New commenter

Context: Friday after lunch, low ability set of around 12 pupils. Task encouraged helping each other and it was a (dare I say it) FUN task with a hint of competition, which this class respond well too.

"If it was my lesson I wouldn't have left them get up out of their seats, it's not productive. You ruined the lesson by letting it happen and encouraging it."

Outcome: The most productive lesson we'd had on a Friday in weeks.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I had some very honest and heartfelt comments following a lesson observation I had from a consultant brought in by the school prior to an Ofsted visit.

At the time I was also a military reservist and the following week I was off to Iraq for several months. After my observation the consultant said "I don't suppose you really care about this observation do you?". He then shook my hand and wished me good luck.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  7. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Nice idea. But we know where this will eventually lead to if the all-wise purveyors of sacred knowledge (i.e. senior management :)) get their way - the more languages that are covered in a unit of work, the less each language gets covered in any detail. I'd rather be an expert in only 1 language, rather than know how to say 'hello' in 50 languages.

ATfan, agathamorse and Matt994 like this.
  8. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

To continue this thread, my recent lesson observation feedback included, 'my lesson objectives were too specific for the lesson'...

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Seems to go from bad to worse these days, trying to 'find something to criticize'. What happened to good old-fashioned praise and 'that was a good lesson'?

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You can't do that! There are forms to fill in, you know.

11. billybookcase

billybookcase New commenter

I was pulled up once as there was a pencil on the floor ✏️

12. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Lesson observation yesterday. Was told in advance there would be no feedback.
    Work scrutiny in March. No feedback.
    Appraisal was supposed to be last November. Happened in March. None so far this year.

I actually quite like this approach to management.

13. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I was criticised once for writing he word "8 bit" and not forming the 8 and b properly and it looked liked I had written (S hit). I had a broken arm and was in a full cast to my elbow.

14. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Can't win.

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  15. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Must be due to them being expected to tick one of the compulsory boxes on their observation form. I once had feedback regarding good use of formative assessment and higher-order questioning - I didn't use any formative assessment and any questions I asked were simple, closed questions lol.

ATfan, agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  16. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Maggie m’s use of the TA reminded me of the time SLT brought in laptops and electronically ticked off the boxes on Blue Sky (electronic performance management )

I couldn’t be outstanding as they couldn’t tick the “good use of TA” box as I didn’t have one. All boxes had to be ticked for outstanding, no exception

ridleyrumpus, ATfan, maggie m and 2 others like this.
  17. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Computer says no...

ATfan, blazer, DexterDexter and 2 others like this.
  18. lizzy1981

lizzy1981 New commenter

I had an Ofsted inspector ask one of my Y10s what his target grade was. He duly replied, and was then asked what he thought of his target grade (generated by baseline testing - not by me!). He shrugged and said “Easy!” The boy had not come within two grades of his target so far that year, but nonetheless the final Ofsted report stated that “Some students find their target grades are not challenging”, apparently based entirely on this boy’s flippant remark.. ‍♀️

ridleyrumpus, tenpast7, ATfan and 4 others like this.
  19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Because, of course, the child knows best. Jeeez.

20. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

*Sniggers at the stupid observer*