1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

One of my fellow PGCE-ers had this happen when the college lecturer was out to observe her (we called them crits, is that general?)
    Perhaps to avoid possible complaints, he gave her an A for the lesson. Perhaps that's a good strategy, send 'em to sleep,

ATfan, jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  2. drek

drek Lead commenter

Ooooh the irony. The HOD was happy to transfer your useful energy in planning the lesson as a store for one of her own lessons, so she had energy to expend giving nonsensical feedback! (Hot air or what)

That is exactly the way energy transfer works in schools!

ATfan, jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I did badly at an interview a few years back, and the attitude of one of the interviewers really stayed with me, not because it was unusual, but because it was classic.

She spoke to me as if she was a judge, and I had just been found guilty in her court.

"It wasn't "Thank you for your time, I am not employing you because you didn't do "X" and I didn't like" Y""

It was more like " You disgusting, worthless, evil individual, you have been found guilty of XYZ and I am sentencing you to unemployment!

4. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

This is not uncommon sadly. Some managers treat job applicants like they are supplicants before the poor board. Stuff 'em.

5. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

I have been teaching for 11 years and yesterday for the first time I filmed my lesson to send to an observer to watch, it was so easy to forget the camera was there which you cannot do as easily with a person in the room. Earlier today I was nervous about getting feedback from it, now on reflection I KNOW that my students were engaged and that the lesson was just fine
    #confidenceatlast

6. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I was told a practical lesson could never be “outstanding” unless everyone did something different. Well thats fine because I never expected my lesson to be outstanding. Its SLT and Ofsted that want an outstanding lesson. I just want to teach and the students to learn (skills)

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

8. scarlet76

scarlet76 New commenter

Feedback given after lesson observation; the outside space needs weeding and some of your display boards are backed in yellow which could have a negative impact on some of your children! Needless to say I am no longer working there!

9. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Also, the point of differentiating is not to get everyone doing something different. I suggest that this observer also rereads the literature of Dylan Williams and John Hattie.

Bentley89 and agathamorse like this.
  10. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

If you take a photograph of a practical lesson, I would be amazed if students were not doing different things.

11. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

After an outstanding for a year 8 pizza lesson when I asked for a target to improve my lesson I was told to play some Italian music.
    Teaching double practical lessons and being observed for the whole 1hr 50mins when others had only 30mins observations
    I started my list about reasons to retire.
    When both sides of an A4 sheet were filled I decided I'd had enough.
    Could have stayed another 7 years but couldn't really see why I would.

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You won't regret it!

ATfan and BetterNow like this.
  13. Milotic

Milotic New commenter

I had a really similar one. A member of SLT came to tell me that he would be observing me. At the time I taught Y7 - Y13 and he told me that he did not want to see any Key Stage 3 as he did not teach them. He ended up coming to see Year 9 Spanish - an able but challenging group.

I did the whole lesson in Spanish. The kids loved it, learnt loads, we had a great lesson.

When it came to feedback, he said:

"One thing to be aware of: you speak very quickly when you speak Spanish"
    Me : " I didn´t know you could speak Spanish"
    Him: "I don´t"
    Me: "Evidently, because I was not speaking at the speed I would when I normally speak Spanish"
    Him : "But how do you know the students understood?"
    Me: "Because they did what I asked them to"
    Him: "Well, when you speak in English, you speak very quickly"
    Me: "I didn´t speak any English in that lesson, as per the Ofsted guidelines for an outstanding MFL lesson"
    Him: "No, I but I mean in general"

Alright grand, thanks for the feedback.

Told my HoD who was a native Spanish speaker - she was furious and told me to ignore him.

Always fun and games !

14. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Feedback from my ex deputy head about 6 years ago, from an observed lesson on Programming for Computer games.
    " You started talking technical stuff, at that point I went to sleep."
    I asked her how she would have approached it, her reply was.
    "It isn't about me, you need to do it better."

15. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

My response from a most recent observation from the subject manager (who dislikes me!) was rather simple after she sent written feedback and offered (or expected possibly!) verbal feedback via appointment over a week later since the observation. As a result, I'd simply ignored the request and refused to comment on the electronic feedback. Why? Because I'm joining another school. #goodbye

16. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

That’s the funniest one I’ve ever read!
    I enjoyed letting my students register and set themselves up on Mathletics once when there was a maths learning walk looking at ‘working walls’. The 3 amigos with clipboards were so upset not to see any teaching that day! I just thought, f*** you - my auntie is dying and I don’t give a s*** about your monitoring.

17. louisejwarne

louisejwarne New commenter

If one more SLT member uses 'pace' as a lesson improvement target in an ob....I swear I will loose my ****.

They observe for 10 mins then ****** off, what about the other 22 hours a week I teach?

A colleague of mine was recently observed in science by the new science trust director. She made some recommendations about how he could improve and showed him some sample power points. He didn't point out that he had made them and supplements his income via TES by selling his lessons and power points online. they are very popular! .....How embarrassing. She also told my HOD how to improve his teaching and management skills. We now no longer have a HOD. Cheers lady

18. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Not sure how to feel about this one:

At a job interview I was told that my lesson would be great if it was an internal lesson observation but they couldn't shortlist me based on it as a job interview lesson. The reason was that I structured the powerpoint and worksheets in such a way to have the students teaching themselves the subject with me circulating the room supporting small groups, when they needed to see me interact with the whole class much more.

This was after we had the introduction with the Headteacher/Head of Department where they gave the old "we understand it's an artificial environment with a class you don't know so don't worry if it's not a perfect lesson". I'm not sure they ever do take that into account.

I assume the candidate who just printed worksheets off this website instead of spending hours creating bespoke resources did much better.

19. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

I feel your rage... but you need to change your username and display photo or your trust director will be able to identify you :)

20. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Been there, my friend :)