1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

One of my fellow PGCE-ers had this happen when the college lecturer was out to observe her (we called them crits, is that general?)
    Perhaps to avoid possible complaints, he gave her an A for the lesson. Perhaps that's a good strategy, send 'em to sleep,

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  2. drek

drek Lead commenter

Ooooh the irony. The HOD was happy to transfer your useful energy in planning the lesson as a store for one of her own lessons, so she had energy to expend giving nonsensical feedback! (Hot air or what)

That is exactly the way energy transfer works in schools!

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I did badly at an interview a few years back, and the attitude of one of the interviewers really stayed with me, not because it was unusual, but because it was classic.

She spoke to me as if she was a judge, and I had just been found guilty in her court.

"It wasn't "Thank you for your time, I am not employing you because you didn't do "X" and I didn't like" Y""

It was more like " You disgusting, worthless, evil individual, you have been found guilty of XYZ and I am sentencing you to unemployment!

Piranha and agathamorse like this.
  4. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

This is not uncommon sadly. Some managers treat job applicants like they are supplicants before the poor board. Stuff 'em.

5. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

I have been teaching for 11 years and yesterday for the first time I filmed my lesson to send to an observer to watch, it was so easy to forget the camera was there which you cannot do as easily with a person in the room. Earlier today I was nervous about getting feedback from it, now on reflection I KNOW that my students were engaged and that the lesson was just fine
    #confidenceatlast

silkywave, rosievoice and agathamorse like this.
  6. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I was told a practical lesson could never be “outstanding” unless everyone did something different. Well thats fine because I never expected my lesson to be outstanding. Its SLT and Ofsted that want an outstanding lesson. I just want to teach and the students to learn (skills)

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

agathamorse, silkywave and Shedman like this.
  8. scarlet76

scarlet76 New commenter

Feedback given after lesson observation; the outside space needs weeding and some of your display boards are backed in yellow which could have a negative impact on some of your children! Needless to say I am no longer working there!

ridleyrumpus, Piranha and agathamorse like this.