1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. impis

impis New commenter

I had a gardening lesson failed because the children didn't learn anything / make progress whilst changing into their wellies.

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  3. andorian

andorian New commenter

My HOD and the HT were observing my lesson. As I was going round the class checking, I heard the head ask a pupil (it was a year 9 group), ‘Do you think Miss explained clearly? Can you repeat the instructions to me?’ ‘No, she didn’t. I couldn’t understand anything.’ replied Rudi. My heart sank. ‘Oh but she did, I heard her!’ the head replied. ‘You need to pay better attention.’ I could have kissed him.

coxy15, bevdex, Sinnamon and 11 others like this.
  4. teacher_new81

teacher_new81 New commenter

Great lesson, great marking, except 1 person who's always in the exclusion unit, away from all subjects constantly. Observer knows this. So I got one comment: I need to interact with her more when shes excluded as it appears she hasn't had a lot of marking done.

Am, she has been excluded......

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I was confused this week to be told that my practical task had been too long, when I hadn't had a practical task

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

How are these people allowed anywhere near children?

7. maggie m

maggie m Established commenter

I once got written feedback that said I had made excellent use of theTA during a practical. . There was no TA in the lab

ATfan, strawbs, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

These observations are an utter farce.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

That doesn't stop you getting the blame though.

drek, BetterNow, ATfan and 2 others like this.
  10. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I'm still waiting for the feedback on a lesson I taught c.1999 by my HT (at the time) - I expect it's still on his 'to do' list!

Sinnamon, ATfan, jlishman2158 and 2 others like this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

could be, my "to do" list goes back nearly that far

12. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I got written feedback on a couple of post it notes once.

13. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

I love this thread- really cheers you up after your own ridiculous feedback.

My own gems
    1) I can't find the work for........x date. No, I was absent.
    2) You started your lesson 30 seconds late. What?!!!
    3) They only worked on the computers. It was an ICT lesson,....
    4) Your tray labels don't match- how does that affect teaching & learning?!

Loving the black and white keys comment though. As a musician I would have reacted the same!

14. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Year 10 class, in the UAE, all boys, could be quite callenging,doing much better than usual.
    Feedback from local ministry inspector.
    They lost focus in the middle of the lesson.
    Yes, that's because someone set off the fire alarm and we had to evacuate the building.

coxy15, Kartoshka, Piranha and 4 others like this.
  15. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I once received unexpectedly dreadful feedback for a lesson which was observed by our deputy head. One of the comments was that I had sat at my desk rather than circulating around the classroom monitoring students' work. This was factually correct, but ignored the fact that a) it was for about 3 minutes, and b) the students were doing a listening task which required me to press play and pause on the computer. Which was on my desk.
    The best comment, though, was that they did not see any evidence of marking and feedback in pupils' books. This was also factually correct, and was a consequence of the observer coming in, sitting in a chair at the back of the room for 30 minutes, then leaving again without a word. It's difficult to see any evidence of marking and feedback in books that you haven't looked at...

16. lucyrose50

Oh, I've got another!
    I was teaching a French lesson to a top set group who had only been doing French for a term. I was given an RI and told that I should have been using the target language more. I didn't have too much objection to that, I thought I'd used French as much as the students could cope with but maybe I should have been pushing them more.
    The following week I was observed by the same person with a very able GCSE group - brilliant, I thought, I'll be able to really show off my use of target language as they were used to using French pretty much exclusively in lessons. Feedback? RI, because I didn't show or explain the learning objectives, I didn't give any verbal feedback to the students and I didn't explain the purpose of the activities we were doing.

"Er...I definitely did all of those things."
    "No, you didn't."
    "Do you speak French?"
    "No".
    "Well you wouldn't have understood when I said these things then."
    "Then you should have said them in English."

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Perhaps you should have got your best student to translate.:)

18. lucyrose50

I'll know for next time!

Shedman, ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  19. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I remembered this at the weekend and wanted to share it, although it was from an interview so not quite the same as bad observation feedback.

I was invited to interview for Friday morning, lesson with a year 7 class on rivers. Plenty of notice (hate the email asking for the next day) and made a lovely lesson. On Thursday at 2am my wife goes into labour, during the long long wait for the greatest baby ever to be born I remember to send an email about regretting I was not able to make it and thanking them for the opportunity. I get an email on Monday rescheduling for Thursday with a year 10 class on industry, discuss with my wife about going out when we have a 6 day old and agree I should go as it was a good job. Created the lesson in times when everyone else was asleep and go to the interview, feel I did fairly well especially as the HoD who observed me asked to keep my resources to teach the lesson to her own class.

My feedback was generally positive, they had liked everything about me however I did not get the job because I did not show enough energy at all times during the interview. If they want staff doing backflips on 4 hours of broken sleep then I am not sure I wanted to work there.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  20. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

"I could have sworn I heard someone snore..."

There was only one person who nodded off and it wasn't me or the students

Must be tiring doing all these observations ;););)

Piranha, Shedman and agathamorse like this.