1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

My very favourite comment was in an AS physics lesson (back when there were such things). The pupils were doing pendulums, and all 3 of them had a different experiment. One each investigated the effect of mass, length and displacement. They worked out that only length mattered, and then they worked out with logic and some maths (and some gentle directing from me) that pi would be in the equation and so would g. I am reasonably sure had they done this a few centuries back they would be in the textbooks. I was criticised muchly for 'not enough progress'. I was further criticised for getting them to do experiments that 'have no point, because you said the mass doesn't matter'.

2. skvo

skvo New commenter

Can I steal your idea?

ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  3. Teslasmate

Feel free, just don't do it in an observation lesson...

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You know, this really isn't the done thing in education these days - asking if you can 'borrow' someone else's idea. No, no, NO! You blatantly steal the idea and, if it's successful you take full credit for coming up with and bask in the glory. If the idea crashes, you say someone else passed the idea on and you tried it yourself but the fact it failed is the originator's fault and definitely not yours.

Being polite, courteous and professional doesn't get you very far in teaching these days - shafting others does!

5. skvo

skvo New commenter

Oh my, I have a lot to learn :)) but teachers of such attitude are not inspiring enough… Teslasmate's lesson idea is though!

6. Teslasmate

It's very good of you to say skvo, have a merry christmas.

7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Differentiate the work, even though all the children are the same grade with the same starting point from the preassessment in this subject set with no learning issues.

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Observers love to witness you juggling balls and spinning plates, even when it's not warranted. Twerps.

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I saw a post advertised not long ago for an Ofsted inspector. The starting salary was £70k. I'd quite happily say rediculous comments all day for that! In fact I think I'd be quite good at it!

10. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

"I don't see enough feedback..." Manager 1.
    " Too much feedback given..." Manager 2.

"You have to show the kids you care by marking..." Manager .
    "You care too much about them and should only focus on your subject..." Manager 2.

Utter nonsense.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Quite right, I'd say pinkdiculous, bluediculous, greendiculous and every other colour of the rainbowdiclulous comments all day long for that salary. ;)

12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

You missed a step. Steal it and then put it up as a paid for resource on TES without even bothering to remove the originators name etc.

ATfan, BetterNow and Shedman like this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Do I detect a hint that this may have happened to you?

ridleyrumpus, thekillers1 and ATfan like this.
  14. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

£70k+?! No wonder highly career driven headteachers rush to the top.

ATfan likes this.
  15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

OMG! Words fail me.

ATfan likes this.
  16. little_red_fraggle

little_red_fraggle New commenter

Excellent lesson, well done! However, your pencils weren't sharp so I'll rate it as good, you are an NQT so you can't be getting too high a grading. Fifteen years ago now but still have a panic attack and sharpen all my pencils before an observation :)

agathamorse, Piranha and ATfan like this.
  17. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

This is possibly the most ludicrous one I’ve read so far.

18. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I totally agree. :) I wouldn't bother having a panic attack over it but just make a point of drawing the observer's attention to the fact that the pencils are sharp in the next lesson when they come to observe me. If this is by making a point (pardon the pun here) of getting a student to finish doing it for me as the observer walks in, so much the better! :)

19. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

Received the best feedback during my new HE job's initial probation review:

"You're too friendly."

Christ. My job revolves around talking to 17 year olds who are stressing about going to university. They need kindness so much in this awfully stressful time, so stuff that.

20. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Exactly. :)

agathamorse and RedBedHead94 like this.