1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Post them, post them....

2. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

I teach English and part of my negative feedback was that I had not explained to my class why they were reading. This was something the class did for the first 5 minutes of the lesson as they were coming over from the main building and therefore would not all arrive together at the same time.

cat2611 likes this.
  3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It soon got about that it was easy for students to land the teacher in trouble, so some of them played up to the house. Being sent out of the class by the Head, just as a student might be the teacher, seems undermining to me.

During one of the old style OFSTED inspections, a colleague was observed by the lay inspector, who, after walking around the room and bending over a few desks, told her that some of the students smelt of cigarette smoke.

Noja likes this.
  4. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

5. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

During teacher training, my tutor asked me "could you have delivered your input in 10 sentences"

In my head I said "yes, but it would have been ****."

bobdrivesahgv likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Years ago, we had a PGCE student on his first teaching practise in the science department. His college tutor came in to see how he was getting on and looked in on a lesson the student was teaching. This tutor then remarked to the HoS that he thought the student 'lacked experience'!!!

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Tis better to keep one's mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Midway through a year 9 English lesson, a notoriously tricky pupil puts up her hand: "Miss, can we move to our reading groups please I need some help?". The class agree that's a good idea and they move to their reading groups.

HOD: "I see that the class have Reading Groups and Writing Groups depending on their activity. Why do you do that?"

Me: "Well, I find that in reading tasks, mixed ability groups work best especially if the stronger readers can read aloud to the weaker ones. But when writing, I can target weaker/stronger children better if they are all sitting in ability groups. We often do our planning in reading groups too"

Observer: "Hmmmm, well I don't see the point of that".

9. andersoncouncil

andersoncouncil New commenter

'Chimp paradox' has seemingly

10. andersoncouncil

Chimp paradox... Don't ask
    Curriculum offer... Lessons?
    Progress over time... As opposed to?
    Strategic development, school improvement plan
    Facilitate learning
    Restorative justice
    Thinking maps
    SEBD, EBD, SEMH... it changes on a weekly basis

I could go on and on and on!

11. andersoncouncil

I seem to have posted half my second post before the first one, even my iPad hates jargon, but chimp paradox has seemingly gone out of vogue and hasn't had a mention for a bit, but it is a good one!

12. drek

drek Lead commenter

since school advertisements look the same nowadays, and visionary statements all sound the same, it is dfficult to get the real picture of any school.

Keen sighted ofsted reports are a great help though... lol. One school I did a 'background check' on was hilarious.

Wikipaedia stated the school had lots of criminal convictions i.e a number of dodgy staff over a number of years.

Ofsted said its board of govenors was exemplary! Most had worked there for many many years. So no responsibilty taken I take it?

Ofsted observed that the new headteacher was wonderful, but the local authority was even better (tory council) because it had bought in a consultant 'head' to retrain' this person.

Ofsted observed that some leaders and most teachers were terrible, but that the new head was sorting all this out.

I looked at the recent results and they were better than the neighbouring school which ofsted had recently judged as 'good'

Would anyone want to join this school. What price an ofsted observation huh?

13. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

An ex colleague 'only' got a Good in a PE obs by SLT because 'you could have wheeled in a whiteboard into the changing room to write down the objectives!'

Northern_Miss, cat2611 and Oboejane like this.
  14. scienceteachasghost

A personal one, during a learning walk I showed a YouTube video of a dead pig getting eaten by maggots during a forensic entomology lesson with a low ability hard to engage Year 11 group.
    'What were you thinking showing that?' I was asked afterwards.
    Erm - that I was trying to engage a difficult group with a visual and memorable starter?!

15. scienceteachasghost

'Wikipaedia stated the school had lots of criminal convictions i.e a number of dodgy staff over a number of years.'

Because Wikipedia is always correct Drek?!
    '

drek likes this.
  16. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I'm loving this!

Many, many years ago I had an observation in the days when the inspector sat in for the whole lesson...it was a literacy lesson. At the end he said it had been a good lesson, but said, " I expected to see a maths lesson Mrs xxx' .
    I pointed out that I wasn't Mrs xxx, that she was in the classroom next door...'

I remember the inspector who fell asleep watching my country dancing lesson..
    ( told you it was a long time ago!)

Then more recently, ie in the last 10 years, there was the inspector who watched a maths lesson. He said, at the end, that it had been a very good lesson... Then he ruined it by saying that he was going to mark it down to Satisfactory because I talked too much. I said that he had arrived too early for the lesson and had happened upon us marking our early morning work together before the maths lesson started...

Ommmmmmmmmm
    Sorrim x

17. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

My two favourite feedback sessions -
    First was when the observer told me that on paper my lesson was outstanding but his gut feeling was that I was just good.
    Second - a feedback observation by an Ofsted style company employed by the international school I was teaching at. There were a group of 4 inspectors.
    Observer - I didn't observe you.
    Me - Yes you did my name is XXXXXXXX (My name is not really X!)
    Papers are shuffled for a while and then she just stops and states
    Observer - I remember your lesson and as a Primary teacher I would have expected to see ...
    Me - I am not a Primary Teacher,
    Observer - Oh yes I know you well as an EAL teacher I would have expected to see a better demonstration of oral skills in the lesson.
    Me - I am not an EAL teacher.
    Observer shuffles through her papers again and seems to find my sheet and said - I remember your lesson well and you were satisfactory.
    Me unconvinced just left !

18. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Observed in the summer. You circulated the room too much and really needed to spend more time with a focus group to push on their learning. Same person observing in September. The problem was you spent too long with a group and you really need to be circulating the room more to check on the learning of the whole class.

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The one i remember well was an OFSTED observation. During dept.feedback he said that he hadn't written it up but would do later, this surprised me. Later i duly saw what was a very good observation for a lesson. However, he had not seen me teach this subject. I had pointed out at our initial meeting that if he wanted to observe me, my only lesson was the next day. Presumably he had to observe me teach this subject and the ficticious observation satisfied the requirement.

Northern_Miss likes this.
  20. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter