1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous comments given at lesson observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jolly_Roger1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Your BOOKCASE!!!
    Oh, that deserves a prize. That's the best!

Let's face it, we've all had the 'but you didn't do a starter/yes, I did but you weren't here for it' comments. The bookcase is in a league of its own.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I was told by a head on one of her classroom visits and observations my cupboard tops where to messy.
    MMM...the fact we had drying paper mache? heads on there might have done that, along with project work for a play and a history study.
    When asked what i should have done I was told
    a: I should have stuffed them all into a cupboard or
    b: Thrown them away and start again next time.

3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

1) During a lesson in which the starter was for the students to suggest a learning objective that tied in with the topic: "There was no learning objective on your board." Well, yeah, cause that was kinda the point...
    2) Ofsted inspector: "your plan was good, I liked the way you engaged the whole class, they made good progress and their contributions were great. You're clearly a good teacher. It was a Satisfactory." On being asked why if the plan, delivery, teaching and learning was good, the response was that one child had misbehaved. I pointed out that I had dealt with it as per school policy and the whole thing took a few minutes to sort out (and that in the framework of the time, it says that any issues should be dealt with promptly), but unfortunately that just wasn't good enough.
    3) Different Ofsted inspector: "Yeah, it was a Good." Me: "oh, well, jolly good. What would have made it better?" Him: "Dunno. Only one lesson in a thousand is Outstanding." But he didn't know what it was that made it better than my lesson.
    4) "Your displays need to be more interactive."
    5) Said by my HoD when I was an NQT with a very very difficult class: "What was the point of that then?"
    6) "I think you have trouble delivering plenaries." This person had seen me for a grand total of 15 seconds in the middle of one lesson and I was new to the school - my first observation there, in fact.
    7) "I could see through the window that it was a good lesson." Said by the same person who 'failed' a colleague's lesson by looking through the window. She didn't like the fact they were working in silence (it was exam practice).

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

A week before the exam I was doing a revision lesson with a top set group, all A/A* targets was told "I was teaching too much to the exam spec."

5605, BarryIsland, JeannieMc and 7 others like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The papier mache heads? Also a good one. Throw them away?????

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So did they suggest what he should call the keys.....?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A friend if mine-Head of Music-had a number of run-ins during the week when we were being inspected (old system, thousands of inspectors in for a week!! :eek:) She was observed on the Friday morning and the inspector was increasingly exasperated when he couldn't find fault. His last poke with a pointy stick was when he asked my friend why the practice rooms were all square. My chum just fell about laughing and directed the inspector to the builder.:D

8. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

An ofsted inspector once told me not to 'spoon feed' the pupils too much.

They were year 3. They were being introduced to column addition for the first time ever in their lives and she observed the first 20 minutes of the lesson.

Apparently they should have worked it out for themselves.

I could have put my coat on and gone home then!

Remember folks, teaching kids by showing them how to do something is the work of the devil!

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I believe that was one of the questions my ex yelled, oops, I mean asked at the time :D;). No suggestion was provided...

Rott Weiler and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

"Room got v hot towards the end. Consider opening a window."

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

You've reminded me of a HoD of mine. -(a real 'I'm setting the world to rights despite all you old stick in the muds').

Having inspected my (year 9) books, the HoD called me in to say the essays were well written but it was clear I had been teaching them, (some students had used similar arguments to others). I took this to be compliment until it was pointed out that the class should have discovered it for themselves .

The task ? The prescribed (by HoD) task, How can the Palestine crisis be solved?
    Yeah, I taught them about one of the most complex political, economic and humanitarian issues of the 20th century, covered arguments for both sides etc and then set them to write an essay (with some guidelines and ideas).

As an ex colleague once said. "It's OK letting the pupils discover for themselves. I just think we should at least switch the light on."

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think that's a good thing. No point in trying to make everyone teach exactly the same way!
    Good luck with your mentoring - it can be really good fun and good for the mentor too. I get lots of ideas and a bit of insight into my own practice from mentoring.

Landofla and JessicaRabbit1 like this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

[The missing thumbs up icon]

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Ofsted Inspector observing a lesson in which there had been three, separate teachers for one year 9 class - the last of whom was me, when I stayed to sort out the chaos that had ensued at the start.

He had the names of all three teachers written down on his observation sheet - the first two crossed out.

Ofsted Inspector: "I don't know who I am supposed to be observing here!"

Me, the HOD: "Neither do I. I suggest the best thing you can do is help me for five minutes to settle these kids back down after what's just happened." [A child and a supply teacher had just thrown a table at each other... the usual teacher had walked out earlier when he discovered he was going to be observed!]

And he did, bless him!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:D

Best wishes

16. marlin

marlin Star commenter

:eek:

So if he had used ebony and ivory would that have been any better? I think not! :confused:

I can't think of anything else one could call piano keys except black and white keys. It would be incorrect to call the black keys the sharps and flats notes and the white keys the natural notes (double sharps and flats would make this a nonsense for example) - so what else? :rolleyes::confused::mad:

17. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm on a roll, now... :D

At another school (also in SM - I love 'em!) as a new senior member of staff, we were due a monitoring visit from HMI.

The HT warned me in advance that the particular HMI overseeing my core subject was really unpleasant, difficult to please and had previously upset the HOD and other staff.

Lovely SIP (also an HMI) saw me afterwards, with a shocked face and said that Difficult HMI had been singing my praises and wondered what on earth I had done to him.

Easy, I answered. I made sure he interviewed me in a small room with one exit. I showed him in first and he took the seat by the window. I took the seat with my back to the door, blocking his escape and would not let him leave until he agreed with me! Every time he saw me around the school afterwards he beamed at me!

18. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I love this thread.

1. Over performing a level group before exam leave- 'students are clearly supported and are making excellent progress but you could have done some group work to get buzz.. although idont know if that would be as effective' -- WHAT?! So you think I should do a worse lesson then? (Said observer was from a practical subject who would, when training other observers, say things like "students remember more when they're up and moving")

2.'It was hard to tell from your planning if students are making progress... ' when I handed over a data tracking sheet showing every child had made more than expected progress by that point in the year.

3. Feedback on an SEBD group- 'you could have had sheets for them because they're bottom set.' Me: but they managed the mainstream work without them because we've worked really hard on independence! Observer: 'yes but I did a training session saying we should have sheets for that and you don't have sheets'

4. I can't put my finger on why it wasn't outstanding. I'm sure by Ofsted it would be but there's something about it I can't place.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Can't quote you @marlin but we went through a variety of alternative names for them, admittedly whilst emptying a much needed bottle of wine, and all of them were ridiculous. We chuckled for weeks about the 'judgment' :D.

marlin likes this.
  20. drek

drek Lead commenter

Wonder if we can hire the tempestous gorilla, what with all those new million dollar glass buildings....
    So tempting during the weeks observers are learning to walk or whatever it is they claim to be doing,
    We all know its definitely NOT to help the dfe and mates lay their dirty paws on the pension pots of teachers who have spent years working their socks off for the system!

Numbergame likes this.