1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Riddles

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, May 17, 2019 at 7:47 PM.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Anyone seen this riddle doing the rounds.

Riddle: It is 7:00 am. and you are asleep. There is a knock on your door. Behind the door are your parents who have arrived for breakfast. In your fridge you have bread, milk (pasteurized), fruit juice, and a jar of jam. What do you open first?

I think I know the answer but don't want to give away just yet.

What do others think?

And does anyone else have a good riddle to puzzle over?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Your eyes.

bombaysapphire and les25paul like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Your eyes....

les25paul likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The shotgun cabinet

primarycat and burajda like this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Too easy, thats what I thought.

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have one.

You are a homeopathist and need to accurately measure out four pints of water to add to a recipe for a cure, that will subsequently be diluted again and again and again in four pint steps, but the only things you have to measure the water with are a three pint container and a five pint container.

It's important that the quantity of water is accurately measured and there are no graduations on the containers. In fact, the containers are tapered, so you can't even hazard a guess at getting the volume right, however you have been assured that when full, each container will hold an accurately measured volume of water.

How do you do it?

les25paul likes this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fill the five pint container then empty most of it into the three pint container, leaving two pints. Repeat as required?

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Poked this to my husband and fridge door was it.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Like my eyes are ever fully open for an hour on work day? I am zombie before 10.

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was sent the riddle on Msn messenger and responded "eyes" however I was told I was wrong and that the answer was "Messenger".

It's a stupid 'riddle'.

12. magic surf bus

Could an all-powerful deity create an object so heavy that even they couldn't move it?

13. Duke of York

Remeber that the homeopaphist needs to dilute the recipe thousands of times, so he'll be looking for a solution that doesn't involes too many repeated operations.There's a simpler way to get there.

14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Move it where? Surely the deity would create the object in the place they were going to attempt to move it to. Why create work?

magic surf bus and les25paul like this.
  15. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Fill them both and repeat half as many times?

16. Duke of York

Nice idea, but you can't repeat it the first time by half as many times.

17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Surely it's like cooking and you can just add a slosh?

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The best way to conduct the "I need four pints of water but don't have a four pint vessel" task, is at the allotment, because in my suggested solution, you will need to discard five pints of water; so in my case, I have just returned from the allotment to try this out, and conclude it will be best received by young courgette plants.

Fill the three pint container and tip into the five pint container.
    Fill the three pint container again, and decant into five pint container until the latter is full.
    You now have one pint in the three pint container.
    Empty the five pint container and decant the single pint from the 3 pinter into the empty 5 pinter.
    Refill the three pint container and pour it into the five pint container which already contains one single pint. Say "tada!" even though by this point nobody will have remained to listen with any degree of interest.
    So then go to pub and fill yourself with several pints, relieved that there is no longer any need to calculate...also to obscure your conscience from biting at you about having wasted

(Given that the context of the riddle is homeopathy, I thought I'd write one of my famous jokes on the subject. But then every time I practiced it, although I was convinced myself, nobody else seemed to think it worked...)

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    les25paul and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  19. magic surf bus

Because Mrs all-powerful deity will probably come along when it's finished and say "It's very nice dear, but couldn't you move it a couple of feet to the right so we can fit the potted clematis in?". I mean come on Jude, you've done gardening for others haven't you? :)

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

You have a house in which every window faces South. A bear walks past one of the windows. What colour is it?