1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Riddles and story writing tasks for KS1 SATS - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fuzzyfelt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. I'm new to teaching year 2 and trying to stay calm about approaching SATS. I know one of the tasks is writing a riddle. Has anyone got any fantastic ideas about how to prepare the children for this?
    Do we get to see the criteria for marking both tasks (story and riddle)? I know the papers have arrived at my school. I'd be grateful for any advice. I was off sick for two weeks before half term and feeling a bit stressed about going back.

2. I'm new to teaching year 2 and trying to stay calm about approaching SATS. I know one of the tasks is writing a riddle. Has anyone got any fantastic ideas about how to prepare the children for this?
    Do we get to see the criteria for marking both tasks (story and riddle)? I know the papers have arrived at my school. I'd be grateful for any advice. I was off sick for two weeks before half term and feeling a bit stressed about going back.

3. i opted out of the new tasks - i'm doing last years instead. thought my lot would really struggle with riddle!

4. i opted for the new tasks/tests this year and to be honest I am glad I did. In order to prepare for the riddle, we have looked at the Annie Axworthy book "Waht am I?" The children then wrote their own. The term 'riddle' sounds daunting, but in fact it is very straight forward. if you look in the teacher handbook you will see examples of children's riddles. I do not have a particularly able Y2, but I am confident they can achieve - and don't forget, this tasks are only a snapshot to support teacher assessment!

5. As with previous tasks they are not what the say they are.
    Remember the invitation that was not really an invitation? It wasn't sharp and to the point and was more like a letter.
    Remember the postcard that wasn't a postcard? It was a piece of descriptive writing.
    Well now we have a riddle that isn't really a riddle. Again it is a description. Once you get you head round that then it is so much easier. Do loads of descriptive work from pictures, monsters, animals etc But remember not to do that genre of writing for 2 weeks before the task.

6. cheesepleasegrommit

cheesepleasegrommit New commenter

You can (and must!) look at the mark scheme to help you understand and plan your work - its in the teachers task guide / pack which explains how to deliver the task, with ideas for content and so on. As magicsparkle says, the 'genre' is never quite what it seems!

7. Is it Ok to practise riddles getting them to write them about animals? Or should they have another subject to write about?

8. this is what I thought was a riddle and what I have taught my class. someone correct me if I am wrong.
    And I don't get to look at the teachers task guide book or anything in it. are we allowed to?

I am small and grey.
    I have a long tail.
    People are sometimes frightened of me.
    I like to eat cheese.
    what am I?

9. yes we are allowed to - it is just an assessment tool afterall. I have bought Ikea pebbles to use as a stimulus for the writing task. A nice time filler would be 'guess what I am' type verbal descriptions which will give the kids familiarity.

10. If you look inside the teacher's pack there's a lovely butterfly riddle on a poster. This is for use on the day but it could be looked at beforehand as an example.

11. I've had my teacher's handbook for months now (since before Christmas!). Definitely get hold of it. My LEA gave strict instructions for class teachers to be allowed access to it ASAP. There are examples of what the children should be writing.

You can teach the children riddles as it is part of the NLS but you cannot do this in the 2 weeks leading up to the actually writing task. So you could do it next week and then do SATs maybe just before summer half term for example.

12. we haven't even set our dates yet...
    thanks for the info

13. So are we allowed to teach them how to write a riddle about an animal or should we give them another subject such as traditional tale characters?

14. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

If you are looking for examples of riddles...
    A lot of my stuff uses riddles (Who/What am I?)
    Minibeasts
    Katie Morag literacy
    Teddy Bear History etc etc
    There is an index page for resources on CD in support of Climb but the opening website page has links to all my fre stuff :)
    http://www.ks1resources.co.uk/page63.html

15. from p12 of the teacher's handbook

2. For the purposes of this assessment, children should not have had any kind of story or riddle writing taught or modelled for them within the previous week, although they may have been taught these as part of the key stage 1 national curriculum.

There is no mention of whether or not you can teach riddles about animals or not. I suppose it's better to do them on something else so that you can assess the child's ability to write riddles, rather than to remember something that they had help with a few weeks back... just a thought.

16. redx11

redx11 New commenter

We have covered riddles this term. We used shapes to begin, then animals, both wild and farmyard, finished off with writing riddles about characters from traditional tales. My class have really enjoyed this type of writing.

17. I'm panicking as our Infants manager has decided not to let me look at the sats or the teacher's pack before the sats. I'm an NQT in Year 2 and am very worried. She did, however, find out that there was a riddle in the test and so advised me to do it with my class, which I have, but I've used what looks to be, from reading these posts, a very different format for the riddles than those in the test.

18. Apart from riddles what is the other task?

19. The other task is writing a story about someone who finds a special pebble. The character picks it up and I quote 'He or she suddenly starts to change...'

The prompts do not make it clear that the character should change - in fact they, and the examples given allow the change to be to the pebble, or to something else in the environment.

So it's off to the beach for me to surreptitiously collect pebbles, or maybe I'll go to the garden centre.

20. The riddles is one thing but how on earth are the poor little darlings supposed to be able to do a task like that? I mean if we are finding the instructions/prompts a bit ambiguous imagine what the children will be thinking!

I hate SATs.