1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rich teachers!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by JPM1967, Jun 5, 2011.

1. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

I caught the end of Brian Taylor's Big Debate on Friday and there was a very interesting discussion on COSLA's position on teachers' pay & conditions. Margo MacDonald talked her usual sense and there was a great contribution from a fiery and articulate experienced supply teacher in the audience.
    However, what really made me sit up and take notice was one of the panellists who kept referring to "rich" teachers and how we were far too expensive. His contempt for public service workers (and teachers in particular) was evident. His name was Michael and he sounded exactly like Mike Russell in accent, tone and delivery. It was bizarre...at one point I thought it actually was Russell and he'd finally flipped and was expressing his true feelings now the election was over!
    I listened to the whole programme today on BBC iPlayer and it turns out it was Michael Fry, author, historian and former Scottish Conservative who was spouting this nonsense. If you have five minutes to spare it's worth a listen:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011jx67/Brian_Taylors_Big_Debate_03_06_2011/
    The key part starts at 45:30 and ends at 50:30. If you still know any docile teachers who can't be bothered voting and think everything will be fine, play them this five minute excerpt and they may finally wake up and realise that these are the type of people we're up against.

2. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Michael Fry's tirade starts at 45:30 but the initial question and discussion starts at 42:30 or so.

3. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

yet more teacher bashing

after all we have it soo easy don't we????