1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rich Tasks

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by madrme, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I have just been told that I have to teach a Rich Task for 20 periods, starting tomorrow (2 periods a week). Do I have a right to refuse to teach this, as it is outwith my own subject, or do I have to just put up with it?

2. I have just been told that I have to teach a Rich Task for 20 periods, starting tomorrow (2 periods a week). Do I have a right to refuse to teach this, as it is outwith my own subject, or do I have to just put up with it?

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

If you aren't happy then tell them.
    NO!!
    In our contract it states that we have to carry out duties HT deem to be part of our job, but if not your own subject that is not going to benefit the pupils! I don't understand this madrme,we are doing a Rich Task as a working group and it's SMT led with each subject teacher using their own expertise. This sounds like HT or SMT being over zealous at your expense. I had similar "bother" from a new SMT who was keen to assert authority by expecting me to do more than weekly 35 hours and gave me some holiday reading (!!) I politely listed what hours I did and pointed out firmly that holidays mean no work and I would not be thinking of school let alone read about it. SMT initially not happy (huff, puff out of staffroom!) but now we get on fine. I don't know how long you have been teaching for but have confidence in your experience.
    If you DO take this on will it be a learning curve? If so, log all the work you do and keep it as evidence - it will not be a wasted task. I think a few of us feel threatened that we may lose our jobs if we don't tow the line but that is SMT acting as bullies and they need to be reported.
    PM me if you like - let us know how things work out and what you do.
    Joni x

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Ah, my heart leaps to hear of a school where teachers are consulted appropriately and the curriculum is planned strategically with everything in place to ensure success BEFORE implementation of new courses.

Aye right. The usual cobbled together **** being dumped on unwilling teachers by SMT members who could not organise a pi$s up in a brewery.

No you cant refuse to teach an assigned class. What happens next depends on how determined / bloody minded you are. Start by contacting your union. If you are wise this will be SSTA who will give you chapter and verse. info@ssta.org.uk

5. Any chance of explaining what a Rich Task is? I've heard something like this is coming my way, so any heads-up would be useful. Thanks.

6. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Well, here is one definition from our antipodean cousins at the Queensland Government Department for Education and Training:
    "Rich Tasks are the outward and visible sign of student engagement with the New Basics curriculum framework. They are the assessable and reportable outcomes of a curriculum plan that prepares students for the challenges of life in 'new times'.
    The rich task is a reconceptualisation of the notion of outcome as demonstration or display of mastery; that is, students display their understandings, knowledges and skills through performance on transdisciplinary activities that have an obvious connection to the wide world."
    www.education.qld.gov.au/corporate/newbasics/html/richtasks/richtasks.html
    So, there you have it. Just substitute 'Curriculum for Excellence' for 'New Basics curriculum' and everything should be as clear as mud.
    Why have we allowed bureaucrats to impose such educational waffle on schools?

7. Utterly brilliant. Clear as mud. I'm guessing, in English, it's the pupils' chance to create wall displays, presentations, etc, etc, etc as per CfE but in the context of a real-world setting?

8. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

"The rich task is a reconceptualisation of the notion of outcome as demonstration or display of mastery".
    Brilliant! If someone in any other industry/profession produced guidelines like this they'd be sacked.

9. Now had the meeting I understand this...... and the topic of Energy is utterly brilliant. Lends itself to sooo much active, research, group and individual work. Might just have to squeeze in teaching maths, etc at sometime.

10. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

We had one in September, kids didn't like it, most teachers didn't like it but said the right things to SMT so the message is that it was a success - I would rather have had my days' lessons instead of research, activities, group work, individual work (just been suggested that I'm a militant person because I told the truth - why don't more teachers be honest? Mr.Jo will soon want rid of me because I'm so opinionated at the moment)
    [​IMG]

11. Anyone done the Rapid Response Engineering Challenge? Our organiser handed me a CD and said everything I needed was on it. When I opened it up, the English folder was entirely empty. The evaluation amounted to the organiser saying that everyone he saw on the final activity day seemed to be enjoying themselves. Thus it was deemed a success. I pointed out that if we'd distributed **** mags to all the pupils, they'd probably have enjoyed themselves equally, but my remark was considered flippant.