1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rich ideas for challenging Year 9 class

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by gbmth, May 18, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am a GTP and have a challenging year 9 class that are taking an end of year exam (unit 1) next week and I wanted some rich lessons that will engage them despite the fact that they have 'done their exam' until the new scheme starts.

The class is small and dominated by boys, and the group struggle to maintain focus for more than ten minutes generally, they vary from F to D ability.

Any Ideas will be much appreciated,

GB

2. Hi,

I am a GTP and have a challenging year 9 class that are taking an end of year exam (unit 1) next week and I wanted some rich lessons that will engage them despite the fact that they have 'done their exam' until the new scheme starts.

The class is small and dominated by boys, and the group struggle to maintain focus for more than ten minutes generally, they vary from F to D ability.

Any Ideas will be much appreciated,

GB

3. Do you have any ideas about things they are interested in?
    Cars? then maybe you could do something on car ownership or route planning or costs of running a vehicle or comparisons between different cars or statistical analysis of prices of new vs used cars - I think I once saw a stas project on this?
    Football? Stats on different teams/players...investigate number of goals vs salary? I've seen an activity on what different scores there could be if there were eg 2 goals in total (2-0 1-1 0-2) or three goals in total or .... (spotting patterns etc)
    Olympics/Sport? Statistics on different sports people... different countries... different ways of ranking countries (number of golds then number of silvers etc.. vs 3 points for a gold, 2 points for a silver....). Comparison of their abilities to an olympian speeds/distances etc......
    Do any of those ideas appeal?
    Liz

4. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

My 9s are loving the Bowland bypass design.... you can make it as easy as you want. The boys cannot get enough.