1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ribs and wings

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Duke of York, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Hi all.

Just popped in to say I've recently found some ways of cooking pork ribs and chicken wings that I hadn't tried before. Dead simple, in fact so simple, it should be glaringly obvious to all, it's the place to start your first attempt at cooking, but you know what? Sometimes we try to be too clever for our own good.

I enjoy both, but my sweetheart isn't that keen. She would in the past have a couple of ribs or some wings when I ordered them as part of a Chinese takeaway, or with a meal in a Chinese restaurant, but she's become very conscious of her diet now, so we don't tend to do that much any longer. Instead, I might buy one or the other for myself when she's on an intense dieting fad.

I've tried cooking ribs in various ways over the years, with occasional success, but more often than not finding them a disappointment, whether I followed a recipe or invented my own. The timing was usually the problem. The answer that idiotically eluded me for so long was to let the slow cooker do the bulk of the work, then once they're cooked, smother them with whatever you fancy and finish them off in the hot heat source of your choice.

With chicken wings, I've tried and enjoyed cooking them in all the common ways. Not that fond of the buffalo wings I've tried, if I'm honest, but I've never cooked them myself and the ones I've had had something unpleasantly astringent in the sauce which took the edge off their enjoyment.

Anyway, here's what I found by accident when the chips were down one evening.

When I say the chips were down, I mean I had chicken wings with nothing obvious to flavour them with in the cupboard. My daughter had visited the previous week and we mutually agreed a biryani would be good and found a box of biryani spices in the Indian section of the supermarket that once we'd got home and found my glasses, found was intended to cater for restaurant sized numbers. We took what we imagined appropriate from the box, it worked well enough for us and the remainder was found a space on the spice shelf.

I mixed a tablespoon of this spice with a tablespoon of flour, tossed the wings in them so they had a light coating all over and baked them in a moderate oven for half an hour.

They end up with a crisp, dry, spicy outer with succulent and moorish interiors.

They take the pi$$ out of every other chicken wing recipe I've ever cooked before and didn't ought to have done. Change the spice as you wish, keep the flour balance the same so they turn out like they ought, and if you want to sprinkle with ginger and spring onions or whatever takes your fancy, do it.

Here's two ways of cooking ribs and wings. Are there others that are guaranteed to work? Of course there are. Tell us about them.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

My favourite way of chicken wings is to toss them in oil and salt and lots of black pepper, rip up loads of fresh bay leaves, squeeze over a couple of unwaxed lemons and then chop the lemons into smallish dice and put them in as well. The lemons go marmaladey and the bay permeates throughout. About 40 minutes to an hour. I like chicken wings quite well done; moreso than other cuts.

Ribs, I toss in oyster sauce, honey, chilli flakes, star anise, garlic and ginger and a drop of water and cook in the oven, covered with foil for an hour and a half until done and then take the foil off and turn the heat up for a further half an hour or so, turning regularly.

3. eggyspice

eggyspice Occasional commenter

Wings are not difficult to do, but do best deep fried with coating. Ribs are another matter. It is a waste of time cooking them in sauce at source if you see what I mean. Boil them in a light stock for at least an hour, or until the liquid has evaporated. You then have a soft rib.

When cooled, use your covering of choice and bake in this sauce for at least another 40 mins.

No fat, as it has all come out in the boiling, just crispy flavoursome ribs with no icky bits.