1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhythmic and Rhyming Poetry is a key literacy aid

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 12, 2012.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Leading educational neuroscientists such as Dr Usha Goswami and Dr Peter Bryant-Watts are pushing for rhythmic and rhyming poetry to be returned to school classrooms after an inflow of free verse. It helps children to develop phonological awareness, a key literacy skill. I have just written 900 new poems for children of every age, but there are many for younger children. I've made a website containing them and you can find them by Googling JOSIE'S POEMS. Thousands of teachers come there from all over the world as they too are seeking poetry such as this for their children. Come and say hello in my guestbook. I hope you like all the work I've done and the children enjoy it too. If you want a good poem for St Patrick's Day, go to the main Poetry Index and you will see "Netting a Leprechaun" highlighted. I think your children will enjoy this. It is my latest poem.

2. JosieWhitehead

Leading educational neuroscientists such as Dr Usha Goswami and Dr Peter Bryant-Watts are pushing for rhythmic and rhyming poetry to be returned to school classrooms after an inflow of free verse. It helps children to develop phonological awareness, a key literacy skill. I have just written 900 new poems for children of every age, but there are many for younger children. I've made a website containing them and you can find them by Googling JOSIE'S POEMS. Thousands of teachers come there from all over the world as they too are seeking poetry such as this for their children. Come and say hello in my guestbook. I hope you like all the work I've done and the children enjoy it too. If you want a good poem for St Patrick's Day, go to the main Poetry Index and you will see "Netting a Leprechaun" highlighted. I think your children will enjoy this. It is my latest poem.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whatever has happened to us that we need neuroscientists to remind us of something so blinking obvious?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Dear OP,

I didn't mean to be rude - honest!

5. JosieWhitehead

Oh, how very very right you are. We don't need neuroscientists to tell us this. I am a well retired teacher and children encouraged me to write poems for them in my "retirement". Oh, it is a hobby that draws you in. I now can't stop. But I remember when I was a child (probably in the middle ages), we all had to learn poems by heart - yes and psalms, tables, history dates and everything else. But the purpose of learning poems by heart by my generation and my parents and grandparents too was that you learned how to project your voice without shouting; how to put expression into your voice, and use body language too. It taught you how to pronounce your words carefully so that others could understand you well - and it taught us that apart from seeing us, the next thing which people will notice about us is the way we talk - - and that gives a lot away about us, especially when we are sitting before a panel and hoping they'll employ us. So I don't think we need neuroscientists to tell us what for generations ahead of us have told us. We do know and inky, thank you so much for your intelligent remark. Josie

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Few children start school knowing more than a handful of nursery rhymes ...but lots of inappropriate song lyrics