1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhyming lesson

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by confuddled_angel, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Hi, sorry to ask for help yet again, I feel like all I do is ask for help at the moment!
    I have an interview on Monday, just found out today, and I have to do a 20 minute lesson in a reception class on rhyming - 10 minutes whole class input and 10 minutes with the middle ability group. I also have to provide a lesson plan of how I would continue the lesson. However, rhyme is one thing I've always struggled to teach in the past, so I'm all out of ideas. Does anyone have any tips/ideas? Would be hugely grateful, I'm desperate for this job after a bit of a rough year at my last one - having a huge confidence crisis right now. Thanks again.
    xxx

2. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Lesson Warm-Up
    Ask children what rhyming words are (words that have the same ending sounds). Tell children to touch their nose when they hear words that rhyme.

Words: (cat, hat) (see, be) (mix, cap) (do, at) (hip, dip)
    Assess students’ understanding of rhyming
    Introduction/Procedure
    Do a read aloud with a rhyming picture book. Start with a picture walk and have children predict the story’s main characters, setting and events. Have students read the title, author’s name and illustrator’s name with you.

Now read the story and encourage students to say the predictable/repetitive phrases with you. Pause at the end of a rhyming stanza to see if children can predict which rhyming word comes next.
    Play a rhyming ball game. First, ask children to sit in a circle.
    [*]Next, explain to children that you are going to give them a word and each student will take a turn saying a word that rhymes with the word you said. When the child says a correct rhyming word then they will be tossed the ball. [*]Then the student who is holding the ball will need to say a word and another children will need to say a word that rhymes.

3. cinderella1

4. Thank you very much! They sound great!

5. Would anyone be willing to have a quick look over my lesson plan please? I know you all have very busy lives, but if anyone could spare 5 mins I'd be extremely grateful!

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I always liked the Silly Soup song.

7. cinderella1

8. thank you so much, that would be really helpful! Sent :D xx

9. Hi

Do you by any chance still have your lesson plan? i have an interview/trial day on monday and have to do a lesson on rhyming.
    I hope you will be able to help me PLEASE!