1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhyming and Rhythmic Poetry Helps Literacy Greatly

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 14, 2012.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Dr Usha Goswami (Cambridge) and Dr Peter Bryant-Watts (Oxford) and many other distinguished educational neuroscientists are pushing hard for rhyming and rhythmic poetry to come back into all classrooms as a big aid to literacy. They tell us it helps children to develop phonological awareness, a key literacy tool. Are you using it in your classrooms. Here are two articles well worth reading if you have to teach reading: A REASON FOR RHYME: http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/A-reason-for-rhyme-52688/ and also: READING BETWEEN THE RHYMES:
    http://www.josiespoems.webeden.co.uk/#/reading-between-the-rhymes/4558283402. I have been a teacher all my working life and in the last five years, since I've retired, and encouraged by children in my local primary school, I have written 900 new poems for all age groups mainly using rhyme, rhythm and stories - for children told me they liked this and encouraged me to write more. In the 3 years since I made my internet website, at the request of the children, half a million people from all over the world have accessed it, mainly teachers taking this type of poetry into their classrooms. I hear from them and also visit their children via skype and not only in classrooms where English is a first language but in ESL classrooms. I was in Costa Rica recently and how the children enjoyed performing three of my poems for me, in English - their second language. I read to them too and talked to them and answered their questions. It was such a fun lesson. Monday is MLK Day in America. (Martin Luther King). I am going to Meadowbrook Elementary School via Skype and have written a poem especially for the children called "I Have a Dream". This poem and poems for every age group you will encounter are on my website which you can find by Googling JOSIE'S POEMS. Do use the poems and come and say hello in my guestbook and give me some feedback. I love to feel I can still feed a little of myself back into the education system that is fun for the children and great help to the teachers.

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Dr Usha Goswami (Cambridge) and Dr Peter Bryant-Watts (Oxford) and many other distinguished educational neuroscientists are pushing hard for rhyming and rhythmic poetry to come back into all classrooms as a big aid to literacy. They tell us it helps children to develop phonological awareness, a key literacy tool. Are you using it in your classrooms. Here are two articles well worth reading if you have to teach reading: A REASON FOR RHYME: https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/A-reason-for-rhyme-52688/ and also: READING BETWEEN THE RHYMES:
    http://www.josiespoems.webeden.co.uk/#/reading-between-the-rhymes/4558283402. I have been a teacher all my working life and in the last five years, since I've retired, and encouraged by children in my local primary school, I have written 900 new poems for all age groups mainly using rhyme, rhythm and stories - for children told me they liked this and encouraged me to write more. In the 3 years since I made my internet website, at the request of the children, half a million people from all over the world have accessed it, mainly teachers taking this type of poetry into their classrooms. I hear from them and also visit their children via skype and not only in classrooms where English is a first language but in ESL classrooms. I was in Costa Rica recently and how the children enjoyed performing three of my poems for me, in English - their second language. I read to them too and talked to them and answered their questions. It was such a fun lesson. Monday is MLK Day in America. (Martin Luther King). I am going to Meadowbrook Elementary School via Skype and have written a poem especially for the children called "I Have a Dream". This poem and poems for every age group you will encounter are on my website which you can find by Googling JOSIE'S POEMS. Do use the poems and come and say hello in my guestbook and give me some feedback. I love to feel I can still feed a little of myself back into the education system that is fun for the children and great help to the teachers.