1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhyme Lesson - HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lunablanket, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hey guys I am being observed the first day back and the focus is Literacy, which is rhyme in this instance!! The majority of my children are able to identify rhyming words!!
    I was thinking of looking at nursery rhymes, children identiofying on the IWB the rhyming word and whether they can identify a pattern?
    I was thinking of giving each child a word which is a rhyme of anothers child! They have to find their rhyming partner and make up a silly sentence using the rhyming words and if possible add a few more!!!
    The adult led activity will be split into ability groups writing their own rap/poem about school then performing to the rest of the class later that week!! I still think that this is sparse and I need a little mmore sparkle!!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! As my class are quite active I try and avoid long carpet sessions and try and involve alot of active learning!!!
    Many thanks for your suggestions in advance!!

2. Hey guys I am being observed the first day back and the focus is Literacy, which is rhyme in this instance!! The majority of my children are able to identify rhyming words!!
    I was thinking of looking at nursery rhymes, children identiofying on the IWB the rhyming word and whether they can identify a pattern?
    I was thinking of giving each child a word which is a rhyme of anothers child! They have to find their rhyming partner and make up a silly sentence using the rhyming words and if possible add a few more!!!
    The adult led activity will be split into ability groups writing their own rap/poem about school then performing to the rest of the class later that week!! I still think that this is sparse and I need a little mmore sparkle!!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! As my class are quite active I try and avoid long carpet sessions and try and involve alot of active learning!!!
    Many thanks for your suggestions in advance!!

3. Theres a rhyming game you could play. "I know a word and it rhymes with bun, it shines in the sky and it's called the ...? I know a word and it rhymes with mouse you live in it and it's called a ...? Just go on making them up I have a list I refer to and keep handy. Maybe children could make up their own. It's a handy little starter or u can use it at any time to gain attention ie when lining up or when waiting. Jack and Jill words to sort if you are using nursery rhymes (kill excepted) children give/sort the words appropriately. You could have a multiple choice rhyming quiz at the end. I've got in the habit of having a weekly quiz with differentiated questions related to experiences the children have had during the week. Ie did jack and Jill go up the road/hill/mountain/drainpipe? Offering really silly answers for them to choose from ( including staff names) is really fun and you can hear a pin drop when I'm asking the questions one at a time and they dont call out because they know they will each have a turn. Reward with stickers or whatever system you use. Rotten timing for an observation but I'm sure the children will be pleased to see you and keen to get back into school. Good luck eve

4. I can send you 2 games - Rhyming Picture Pairs and Rhyming Pictures Happy Families.
    margaret26122@btinternet.com

5. Sorry, my email address should be margaret2612@btinternet.com

6. You could put an odd one out game as an independent activity. Lots of pictures e.g. clock, rock, hat. You could even make it into rhyming bingo.
    Look through your Letters & Sounds book. It has lots of useful activities in there for rhyme. "I know a word" is one of my favourites.