1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhumatoid Arthritis..any tips from fellow sufferers??

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Baubleswife, May 14, 2011.

1. Hello there, haven't posted on TES for ages !

<font face="Calibri">I've recently been diagnosed as having rheumatoid
    arthritis and am about to start on sulfasalazine , as a disease modification
    drug.</font>

<font face="Calibri">I'm hoping that there maybe others on here who also have
    rheumatoid arthritis who can offer some tips on coping etc .</font>
    many thanks

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Hello!
    Nice to see you again... even if it is due to a manky reason!

xx

3. Hi lil'
    Nice to see you too...I am feeling a bit manky to be honest !

xx

4. I have a different condition but take Sulphasalazine, been on it for almost ten years now. The most important thing that I have learnt is to listen to your body - sometimes that means that I spend most of Sunday asleep to give my chance the body to recover. Gadgets can be your friends - I have a range of different gadgets in the kitchen that are identical to those my Gran had when she was in her eighties!!! Prioritise what you need to get down and accept that it is ok to cut some corners. My joints are much worse in the winter than the summer but I still have to pace myself so that I can do some of the things that I want to do as well as those that I need to do.

5. <font face="Calibri">Thanks for that Whistler ,you're right about the
    gadgets my favorite one at the moment is the key turner and the wonderful
    Doctor Cook saucepan set.</font>

<font face="Calibri">I know what you mean about pacing yourself and I'm still
    learning this one I think I was making the mistake of trying to get everything
    done on " a good day" and then feeling rotten the day after.</font>

<font face="Calibri">I think I'm 38 rapidly going on 78</font> !

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I don't have RA but something with similar symptoms. Take it slowly, pace yourself and avoid extremes of temperature. If you body says stop and sit down for a while, then do exactly that, or you will feel grottier the next day. Take care.