1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhetorical lady on the scrap heap

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Annouska55, Dec 19, 2011.

1. <font size="3"><font face="Calibri">I have been teaching in the same school for 20 years. For most of that time I have been very happy. I am HOD and have worked as a school governor, represented the school in various capacities and have sat on LEA committees. My previous heateachers held me in high regard; I work hard, get fully involved in school life and value the students. I was invited to take up higher posts but was happy doing what I was doing.</font><font size="3">However, a new Head joined the school and I have become increasingly marginalised. He finds fault with everything I do, makes me feel uncomfortable at every opportunity and verbally bullies me when he catches me out of the sight and hearing of others. At meetings he ignores me. I am not the only one &ndash; others are being pushed towards the exit. One thing we have in common &ndash; age. We are all in our late 40s to late 50s. I cannot believe what has become of the industry I joined 35 years ago.</font></font>

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I am very sorry to read that you have been discriminated in this way - do you think it is age related or a personal matter? Have you spoken with your union? Perhaps you should. xx

3. Age related without a doubt. Plus, he wants new staff who are more malleable and cheaper.

4. Same thing happened where I worked. Definitely age related.

5. The Union did nothing for me. From my experience and that of others they are fairly timid in these situations.

6. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I know the feeling. The union (especially NUT) does nothing but encourages people to move on or accept a CA by using the get out clause 'you're best bet is a CA' then turning around and making out that it was the best deal they could come up with. I'd rather have a job since I am expected to work till 66. The best deal would be to help us fight age discrimination which is rife.
    I have met some nasty NUT regional refs. Remember they get paid from the subs we pay. I have also known of regional refs who collude with management. The union is OK to fight collective causes such as pensions and salaries but not personal individual cases.
    I cant believe the number of times I have heard schools victimising older and expensive teachers through bullying and the unions don't do anything.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Make you you document everything - that way if you do decide to take action at some point in the future you have some evidence/records to refer to.

8. I suspect the new Head is quite a bit younger than you. You are a threat to him. The only way to deal with you is to remove you. A clever, open minded Head would embrace differences and use your experience to make his job easier.
    I'm retired now but experienced the same when I was 50. As a white, able bodied, heterosexual male discrimination came as a great shock!

9. Sidthepig

Sidthepig New commenter

Only just come across this thread but I totally agree.
    It seems an epidemic in teaching and indeed in the UK as a rule - once you are over 45 yrs of age you are considered surplus to requirements. By the way I have found the NASUWT just as useless! Unions have no real power anymore.
    "I cant believe the number of times I have heard schools victimising older and expensive teachers through bullying and the unions don't do anything. " I am going through this at the moment- tried formal grievance - waste of time - so I'm back to being bullied and gradually pushed out. What a rubbish end to my career as a teacher - and according to the government I'm supposed to work past 60 now! - How?

10. Join the not very exclusive club. You are expensive, have principles and are probably twice as intelligent as the new Head. You may not see yourself as threat but you are.
    As a white, heterosexual, able bodied man being subject to descrimination when I was in my early 50s was a real shock. I never really recovered and took early retirement. Best decision I ever made!
    I became a teacher in the 70s because I wanted to teach my subject and have a bit of fun in the process. Fun and "having a laugh" are dirty words these days.

11. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The next time he does any of that, send him an email (bcc to your home account) and ask him to clarify what he meant. That way, you build up a trail, with times and dates.
    You are a threat to him because he's younger than you, insecure and knows that you see through him.

12. I sympathise with anyone getting bullied out of their job for any reason but is there possibility that;-
    You were part of a favoured clique and your new head is struggling to move the school forward, having to work their way around the influential teachers who expect to exert the same influence they previously enjoyed?

I have seen this phenomenon before and without careful leadership it can cause the school to stagnate.
    The head surrounded them self with mutually supportive groups who wouldn't rock the boat or care to oversee emperor's wardrobe malfunctions

13. casper

casper New commenter

When you see you old job advertised and the HOD bit is missing. Where you imagining what was happening ?