1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rhesus negative with a negative partner too?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ceh54, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Just wondered if anyone out there was in the same position? I am about to be offered the anti-D injection and from all my research it seems that as we are both negative I really don't need it. Both parents being negative seems to be a rare occurance and is not specifically mentioned anywhere and all health care professionals don't seem to want to acknowledge the situation.

2. Hello,
    When I arrived to have mine, they asked me if I knew my husband's blood type - which I did (positive). The nurse said that I needed it because he wasn't negative. It's worth checking out with the midwife in advance as they have the doses specifically created/labelled for you. If my husband had been negative, I was told I wouldn't have needed the injection. This was only last week.

3. Thanks Ladies,
    I am sure he is the father (not just husband as I keep getting the 2 mixed up :) ). I was pretty sure that was the case, and if there was any possibility of it being necessary I wouldn't hesitate but when I even suggest I might not needed it I am met with a sea of blank faces and a lack of response.

4. Hi
    My husband (and the father) and I are def both negative - we know as we are both donors. First time round, I didn't bother with the injection but this time I did as they say it is in the 2nd pregnancy that your body recognises the 'foreign' blood. I want going to bother but had heard that due to grand parents, there is a very very slight risk of baby being +ve. (e.g. Only one of my gps has brown eyes, parents both blue, brothers both blue and I have brown eyes.) Pretty sure I'm not the milk man's lol
    Anyway, dr said there were very few side effects and would do me or baby any harm. Biggest risk is that it is a blood product so it has the same (minimal) risk of infection as having a normal transfusion. Injection was quick and rather painless.
    Up to you really....
    X

5. Yes very very unlikely the baby will be positive. Injection doesn't hurt like the poster above said so your choice :)

6. julieacorn you don't need it until well into your pregnancy, good luck hon.
    To the op, I was negative and turned down having the injection which was also met with a few blank stares but I had done a bit of research and just decided it was an unnecessary precaution even though I didn't know what my husband's blood type was, From what I recall as long as you have it within 3 days of possible blood mingling all is well so I would have still had it post birth or following a bump of any kind. Where I live they dish it out to all negative women regardless of your o/h's blood type - presumably because they can't know for sure that o/h is actually the father. As it turned out, baby was negative so husband must have been too.

7. no, i'm negative and my husband is positive and my baby is negative like me. 50/50 change when you have one of each as a parent.