1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rewilding versus Right to Roam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Oct 14, 2015.

?

Should wolves be reintroduced to Scotland?

1. Yes, under any circumstances

18.8%
  2. Yes, with proper safeguards

37.5%
  3. Yes, if fenced off as described in the article

6.3%
  4. No, although if the logistics could be worked out I might consider it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, not under any circumstances

18.8%
  6. No, because the freedom to go anywhere is more important than wolves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't really care

12.5%
  8. I have given an answer below because my choice is not represented in this list

6.3%
  1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33017511

Should someone be allowed to fence off vast swathes of land just to allow the reintroduction of wolves to Highland Scotland?
    I was all for the wolves until I realised it would end up like a large safari park rather than real, wild wolves.

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No wild animals that can eat hunt and humans should be deliberately introduced anywhere in the UK.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Lister's plan is for a zoo. 300 years ago when wolves roamed, the way humans used the land was very different to how we use it now . . there's been a massive increase in sheep farming, cattle farming . . . .if the whole issue is about trees (de-forestation), plant native tree species and fence them off from the herbivores, limit soft wood plantations . . re-introducing a predator for the top of the food chain is simply irresponsible

4. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

I believe they are necessary to reduce the problems of creatures who currently have no top predator to control them.
    I don't think they should be introduced without proper consideration (excludes option 1)
    Depends on what you mean by "proper safeguards" ? and in reality there are no real safeguards necessary (so that excludes option 2)
    Fenced off they are merely zoo animals and not re-introduced creatures.
    All the rest of the options don't apply to my way of thinking

5. Flere-Imsaho

Damn! I thought I got all the poll answers.

6. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ha! You added another option at the bottom of your poll, didn't you?

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Think of it more as a game reserve (as they have in Africa etc) rather then a safari park (as in Longleat). Anyone visiting the area is unlikely to see the animals, although they might hear them at night which will be a magical experience.

As for attacks on humans its very rare almost to the point its not going to happen in the UK. It certainly will not effect those who don't venture into wilderness areas and those that do (like me) will claim its safer then a Saturday night in the city.

I'm all for it, with the appropiate safeguards, and would like to see lynx re-introduced too. Might draw a line at brown bear though.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Oh, I did edit it because I accidentally posted it with only a couple of options. I didn't realise anyone had posted in between.

10. Flere-Imsaho

The fencing bothers me. Too much of Scotland is in private hands for me to support the idea of (huge) bits of it being fenced off like that - presumably with charges to visit.

kibosh likes this.
  11. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Where do wolf-lovers think their bad press came from in the mythology/folklore/fairytales of old? Their propensity for vegetarianism? If pet dogs will eat your baby given half a chance, why the clucking bell do you think wolves (and bears for that matter) were hunted out?
    Real world alert.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Population density in the area suggested is pretty low. Are wolves going to be a bigger risk than other predators present?

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I used to be opposed to the re-wilding of wolves but I'm not any moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore.

Couldn't resist that.

I'd probably go for an option where they're reintroduced but a significant percentage are tagged so their movements could be monitored.

14. xena-warrior

I don't choose the likelihood of me or mine dying on the basis of population density, just opportunity. The chance of my baby grandchildren being attacked by foxes or suffocated by cats is small but their mother still prefers they nap indoors with the window open.

15. Flere-Imsaho

That's what I mean. Is a wolf going to jump through a window to steal a baby?

16. xena-warrior

No, because I live in a suburban community, where even the foxes have it easy and would, unless they miss the thrill of the errr... chase, would rather rip open an idle student's discarded binbag than put themselves to the trouble of biting a toddler.
    But if I lived in a rural, forested community, I'd be thinking twice.

17. xena-warrior

Here you are. I took these a few weeks ago for illustration on another thread but couldn't find the cable. Middle of the day, middle of the lawn. No fear at all.
    Edit. Turns out you can't ppost pics from your hard drive anymore.

18. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Urban foxes (or suburban foxes) have lost their fear of humans and can be a problem, rural foxes are not as bold and run off as soon as they see you rather then hang around for your left-overs. The wolves in question will be in a wilderness area and come into little contact with humans and so will retain a healthy distrust.

People who do not enter those areas have nothing to fear since wolves will not be coming into your vicinity and those people who do live or visit these places will not be so daft to leave out food for them.

It is not suggested that wolves will be introduced into your local woodland and in the highly unlikely chance some do find their way from the Scottish Highlands they will be removed in the same way a dangerous dog would be,

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Italy manages.

Attached Files:

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That picture shouldn't be there.